Male Drama Series Actor

1998 through 2007
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:(They're seriously not as American-hating here as everyone says. Or maybe it's because I made it very clear early on that I'm against the war and hate George Bush?)

(You actually posted this in a different thread, but that one is closed so I moved it here.)

I was in Paris in the Spring of 2003 shortly after Bush started his war on the Iraqi people (and at the height of the odious "Freedom Fries" nonsense). Never have I been so ashaamed to be an American. But I wore an anti-war pin, and the Parisians I spoke to were actually sympathetic to me that those of who enlightened enough to be against Bush and the War have to live in a country with so many idiots and miscreants.

I think also that many French people figure if you're perceptive enough to love Paris, then you're too smart to approve of Bush's international policies.

A few days before Bush attacked Iraq I did an Oscar-related interview on CBS Sunday Morning. The producer was appalled that in my lapel I was wearing a French flag pin.

Edited By Damien on 1201648524
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I love Paris, but my dream is to settle in a small country village in France...sigh.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I'm seriously thinking about transferring schools and staying here Damien. It may be an impulsive decision because I'm deliriously happy right now, but my god, France is everything America isn't and after the interactions I've had with people here, I honestly have no desire to return to the narrowness that is the U.S.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:Can I just say though how much I never wanna go back home? Paris is everything I hoped it would be. And more.
Ahhh, Paris. Once you fall in love with her there's no turning back.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I will have to check out Mad Men when I'm back in the U.S.

Can I just say though how much I never wanna go back home? Paris is everything I hoped it would be. And more.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

cam wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:it seemed from applause level that Mad Men is the new favorite, and I long to see it honored very soon.

Watched Mad Men for the first time last night( here it is opposite Desperate Housewives, which is thankfully in reruns)after you guys talked about it. Wonderfully true to the 1950s. I said to my wife: "Did we really go to bed and have a last smokein bed ?" Yes, she said. Cannot imagine it now.
We will be watching it form now on. Wisteria Lane can blow up as far as I am concerned.
Glad you liked Mad Men, Cam -- it is a fascinating, highly intelligent and beautifully acted series.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Mister Tee wrote:it seemed from applause level that Mad Men is the new favorite, and I long to see it honored very soon.

Watched Mad Men for the first time last night( here it is opposite Desperate Housewives, which is thankfully in reruns)after you guys talked about it. Wonderfully true to the 1950s. I said to my wife: "Did we really go to bed and have a last smokein bed ?" Yes, she said. Cannot imagine it now.
We will be watching it form now on. Wisteria Lane can blow up as far as I am concerned.

Edited By cam on 1201559415
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

a good speech is icing on the cake...you still want the best tasting cake even if there is no iceing....i'll take gandolfini over laurie anyday.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I was kinda hoping for Hugh Laurie if only because he always gives entertaining speeches. Which voters should threaten nominees with from now on. "If you can't say something funny/witty/cute/moving, we won't vote for you! Dance monkey, dance!"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Agreed. It was obvious after two envelopes that SAG had decided to say Au revoir to the great series, and one can hardly dispute the instinct. That said, it seemed from applause level that Mad Men is the new favorite, and I long to see it honored very soon. (And I'm annoyed anew that, of all years we didn't get to see the Globes, it was the one where a show I love so much had triumphed)
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I agree completely...hopefully hamm will get his....but i have no problem with giving one more for that performance, he was consistantly great and it might be the best character ever on tv...or at least in the discussion.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Should have been Jon Hamm in Mad Men but I have no quarrel with an Auld Lang Syne award fpr Gandolfini -- one of the greatest characterizations ever on TV (right up there with David Janssen's Harry O).

Hamm will win in th future.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

James Gandolfini - The Sopranos
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”