First Post-Oscar Nominations Predictions

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:But Oscar Guy, even you admitted that that theory is highly improbable, so why are you defending it so anxiously? It's not your theory, you realized that it's not convincing, so just relax...

I'm arguing with your continued insistence that it's impossible. Even after I suggested the correct word would be improbable, you proceeded to question my mathematics and suggest it was still impossible.

Well, I think that your mathematic theory shows that it's impossible, honestly... but even your suggestion - "highly improbable" - shows that you have serious doubts that it can ever happen for real. Which is ok with me.
As I said. I'm done with this discussion. My mathematics do NOT create an impossible situation, but you CHOOSE to see it as such.

But, since I didn't make myself clear earlier about this thread needing to go back on topic, I'm forced to close it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

dws1982 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:you seem to have ignored the basic principle of theory

No, I haven't. You seem to have ignored the distinction between theory and speculation.

that is if you can convince the Academy accountants to let you see past results and ballots and if you can contact everyone who's died to get their opinion on the matter.

There's no reason to be a condescending ass.
Well, when one is given condescension, one responds in kind, so consider the tone of your response as the reason for the tone of mine.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:But Oscar Guy, even you admitted that that theory is highly improbable, so why are you defending it so anxiously? It's not your theory, you realized that it's not convincing, so just relax...

I'm arguing with your continued insistence that it's impossible. Even after I suggested the correct word would be improbable, you proceeded to question my mathematics and suggest it was still impossible.
Well, I think that your mathematic theory shows that it's impossible, honestly... but even your suggestion - "highly improbable" - shows that you have serious doubts that it can ever happen for real. Which is ok with me.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:you seem to have ignored the basic principle of theory
No, I haven't. You seem to have ignored the distinction between theory and speculation.
that is if you can convince the Academy accountants to let you see past results and ballots and if you can contact everyone who's died to get their opinion on the matter.

There's no reason to be a condescending ass.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

But Oscar Guy, even you admitted that that theory is highly improbable, so why are you defending it so anxiously? It's not your theory, you realized that it's not convincing, so just relax...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And that's fine, dws. I'm not questioning your mathematical capabilities (I, too, took all the Calculus courses), but you seem to have ignored the basic principle of theory. A theory is something that has to be proved to become fact. If you can't prove it true or false, then it remains a theory and since, in this instance, you cannot unequivocally prove the theory true or false, then you must concede that there is no 'winning' the argument. And, if you have the time to put together a mathematical proof to disprove or prove the theory, go right ahead. We'll discuss the results after the 85th Academy Awards...that is if you can convince the Academy accountants to let you see past results and ballots and if you can contact everyone who's died to get their opinion on the matter.
Wesley Lovell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

oh, and you should re-learn the definition of 'inifinity'

Oscar Guy, if you want to go head to head with me about mathematics and mathematical terms, then you'll find yourself on the losing end of that debate on pretty short order. I didn't just test into calculus--I took the entire calculus sequence and more than a dozen mathematics courses beyond that. It may sound arrogant, but this is one thing that I can speak about with authority.

My statement about there being infinitely many ways for the votes to be placed is correct.

Edited By dws1982 on 1201645192
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:highly IMPROBABLE

Ok, highly improbable then.

But Oscar Guy, it's not like if one disagrees with you (especially on such a "highly improbable" and quite confused theory) it means that this person hates you personally, wants you dead, etc... Take it more lightly.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1201643956
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, I love that :)
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:Except that, like so often happens with Voices of Reason, it wasn't reasonable at all.
Sigh. Every now and then, you remind me why it's appropriate that you (and you only) have a screen name that's ALL CAPS.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

DWS, don't bother. My point still remains, however you want to characterize my simplified (so those who can't understand it can better grasp it...oh, and you should re-learn the definition of 'inifinity') mathematics, that althought it may be highly IMPROBABLE, it is NOT impossible. Now drop it. No one's 'Winning' the argument, because we're talking theories, not facts. It's all left to conjecture and no matter whether you think your opinion's right or I think mine is, we cannot know without seeing voter data and talking to actual voters. It's not a theory that can be proven true or false. So, Im tired of trying to defend people and getting ganged up on over it a simple theory.

Move on to other topics or I'll move it on for you.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1201643539
Wesley Lovell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Steph2 wrote:(They're seriously not as American-hating here as everyone says. Or maybe it's because I made it very clear early on that I'm against the war and hate George Bush?)
Yes, that's the reason. We Europeans are always VERY surprised, very pleasantly surprised, when we meet Americans who hate George W. Bush and war - we probably don't think that they exist, we don't expect it.

Thanx - but really, I'd love to speak your language better. I could express so many more thoughts here, and much deeper thoughts even... (So probably it's better that I don't speak it too well...)
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

And thank goodness we have you to remind us cam! It's almost like you're the board monitor...
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Sorry to be such a stickler, but we are way off topic again.

Return to “The 8th Decade”