Male Film Actor

1998 through 2007
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I feel like I'm in a Charlie Kauffman film, and you're inside my head Sabin. Get out dude!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In 2005, I wanted 'Munich' to win and this year I think Tommy Lee Jones deserves to. On the other hand, Oscars for 'Brokeback Mountain' and Day-Lewis give the Academy an air of relevance they're losing on a day-to-day basis. By the same token, I think 'Brokeback Mountain' deserved to win Best Picture over 'Crash' far more than Day-Lewis deserves to win over...who? Clooney?

It's excellence over competence v. superior adequacy & social progression over ineptitude.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

If you actually read my response, you'll notice I did answer the question. Brokeback losing is worse because of what it lost to. If Day-Lewis lost to anyone but Depp, it wouldn't be as bad.

Clear enough? I could also provide a diagram but a stick drawing of an oil rig might look too much like Brokeback.

Edited By Akash on 1201586844
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Thats not the point of the question...i didn't want to start a forum for all the preaching to the choir of why they didn't choose brokeback....the question is just what is a bigger sin, not giving the film brokeback an oscar for best picture or not giving day lewis's there will be blood an oscar for best actor...based on merit alone.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

That's an odd question, but I'll take a stab at it.

Cam more or less said what I was thinking. I don't think it was just the loss of Brokeback that upset so many people (I liked the film but it certainly wasn't the best of the year in my opinion) but more so that a film that wins so many precursors and sweeps the critics awards (like say Schindler's List) never loses Best Picture. And so in this case the loss seemed to indicate a homophobic backlash. Also, Brokeback didn't lose to Good Night and Good Luck (the best of the five nominated films imho) or to The New World (the best film of the year imho), but rather to something as lame as Crash.

If Day-Lewis loses, yeah it would suck, but -- unless he loses to Depp and that seems very unlikely -- it won't be to someone completely undeserving. Clooney, Mortensen and Jones are all quite good in various ways and if Day-Lewis is far superior (and he is) that doesn't detract from their performances.

Crash on the other hand was one of the worst picture choices and a thoroughly lousy film. It wasn't the best of the year, it wasn't the best of the five nominated films -- hell, Crash isn't even the best film named Crash (Cronenberg did a similarly named film that was far better in the mid 90's).

Edited By Akash on 1201582245
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I for one, fell in love with the short story Of Proulx--it made me cry, actually--and I was anticipating the film with great pleasure, and it did not disappoint . Day-Lewis is commanding in the role of Daniel in TWBB. I don't see anyone touching him, and I don't think there will be surprises. If there are, I won't be as upset as I was when something of less value beat BB. If DDL loses, it will be for some political reason, but not for political homophonic reasons , which is what happened when BB lost.

Edited By cam on 1201582167
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Well heres a question for you brokeback lovers....what would be worse...a brokeback mountain loss for best picture two years ago or a daniel day lewis loss for best actor this year.

I'm obviously not a brokeback lover, i just thought it was a good film, nothing masterpiece about it so i obviously say the latter. But i'm interested in seeing what you all think. And don't take into consideration a film that you hated won and a performance that you might not hate would win this year...thats not the point.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Steph2 wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Brokeback Mountain?

Yes but since it's cool for straight male actors to gush over Day-Lewis without seeming too gay, I don't anticipate a problem.
LOL... best line ever about the issue!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Brokeback Mountain?
Yes but since it's cool for straight male actors to gush over Day-Lewis without seeming too gay, I don't anticipate a problem.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Hustler wrote:This year we´ll have at least two smart speeches coming from Oscar winners Christie and Day Lewis.
And don't forget Javier Bardem.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Steph2 wrote:But yeah anyway, DDL was wonderful. I look forward to his Oscar speech when he inevitably wins. Predictability has never been met with so much aniticipation.
Brokeback Mountain?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

This year we´ll have at least two smart speeches coming from Oscar winners Christie and Day Lewis.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

DDL always gives the classiest, most eloquent speeches. And his unexpected (and detailed) tribute to Heath Legder and his work was so sweet, so surprising, so unselfish, so moving, that I wish we could give the man an award every year just to have him speak.

All these other silly American actors should take note - this is how you give a speech! Not a boring rambling list of names followed by the obligatory "This award really belongs to" and some other insipid lines about how "surprised" they are. Note to all of you: YOU WERE NOMINATED. That means you had a one in five chance of winning! It's not THAT shocking. My god, y'all are ACTORS, the neediest bunch spotlight hogs on the planet. At least come up with something entertaining if you can't be profound/moving. For every lovely DDL and Javier Bardem we have so many other Renee Zellwegers, Jennifer Connellys, Charlize Therons, Reese Witherspoons, Jennifer Hudsons and others, whose speeches were completely forgettable.

But yeah anyway, DDL was wonderful. I look forward to his Oscar speech when he inevitably wins. Predictability has never been met with so much aniticipation.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

It was very moving when he dedicated his award to Heath Ledger.

Edited By Hustler on 1201495326
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

As expected.

Return to “The 8th Decade”