Screen Actors Guild Discussion

1998 through 2007
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:I couldn't think of anyone they left out of the memoriam tribute.
I went back to our People threads to see who might have been left out: Shirl Conway, Anne Pitoniak, Kerwin Matthews, Gordon Scott, Frankie Laine.

And most egregiously, the wonderful Bruce Bennett who lived to be a hundred. (But at least they did include his fellow centurion, Charles Lane.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought the show moved as fast as any awards show I can recall. Of course having already known who the winners were I wasn't dying of suspense.

I thought it made sense to have the Mick there as he was one of the earlier SAG members, but yes, he is a ham. He always was, but is even more so now. The introduction of his 7th or 8th wife as someone who was always there was as hilarious as it was uncalled for. I thought it was a little eerie, though, for him to have the segment just before the mermoriam segment. I couldn't help but think that we may soon be seeing him in that.

Best was Daniel Day-Lewis' speech. Always a classy guy, he outdid himself in his tribute to Heath Ledger. It couldn't have been easy for Julie Christie to follow that, but she did well enough, and her "in character" remark was perfectly delightful.

The Charles Durning tribute was sweet and I couldn't think of anyone they left out of the memoriam tribute.

Javier Bardem added a nice touch to his Broadcast Film Critics acceptance speech by paying tribute his grandparent actors who weren't allowed to be buried on sacred ground in Spain because of their profession.

Ruby Dee was obviously surprised by her win. She will no doubt now prepare a less rambling speech for Oscar night just in case.

Even Alan Rosenberg, who I usually can't stand, came across as classy. All in all a good show.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien wrote:
Penelope wrote:Mickey Rooney is an unbelievable ham.

I love Mickey Rooney, and he is an indisputable icon. He's as lovable today as he was 60 years ago as Andy Hardy.

Hay, a lifetime achievement award for the Mick would be perfect!
I Agree. Maybe, next year.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

My Beloved was laughing at me for crying during the In Memoriam segment, but the combination of Brad Renfro and Betty Hutton was too hard for me to take. Plus Laraine Day.

Edited By Damien on 1201497351
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I love Mickey Rooney, and he is an indisputable icon. He's as lovable today as he was 70 years ago as Andy Hardy.

Hey, a lifetime achievement award for the Mick would be perfect!

Edited By Damien on 1201497389
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm on a 3 hour broadcast delay so I'll have to defer any comments on the show until after I've seen it, but sounds like it may have one of, if not the best, SAG show ever.

I don't know why TNT and TBS can't carry the damn thing live, they rebroadcast it at 11 P.M. anyway. Can't they broadcast live at 5 P.M. PST and re-broadcast at 8 P.M.? At least the Oscarcast, assuming there is one, will be broadcast live.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Yes!

And Debra Messing has to be one of my least favorite people on the planet.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way: The guild's first-ever prizes for best stunt ensemble went to "The Bourne Ultimatum" for films and "24" for TV before the ceremony began.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Did somebody tell him he was getting a lifetime award.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Mickey Rooney is an unbelievable ham.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm going to post separate entries as each prize is announced. Please refrain from creating extraneous topics to make it easier to find. You can discuss every aspect of the show other than individual awards here.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”