Online Film & Television Association Nominations

1998 through 2007
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Zodiac' has one major casting issue and it is Jake Gyllenhaal but every single other character no matter how ancillary is spot-on.
"How's the despair?"
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I would put the scene at the fountain from atonement...but i wouldn't nominate any scene personally and i'm glad the film didn't get nominated...not that i didn't like the film.

Same goes for assassination...its a good film with a lot of the best of the year in it...but as a whole film, not one of the best five of this year or even close.

Dissappointed again by the exclusion of into the wild.

Other than that i think its a pretty good list....pen is right, cera's breakthrough was superbad...he might have been the second most well known face in juno for the average movie goer when juno was released.

And back to atonement, i still don't understand the lack of love for romana garai...at least throw her a breakthrough nomination...she did the best job in that film and is getting no love anywhere.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'd actually argue that Zodiac has major casting issues - aka, Jake Gyllenhaal.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

As others have said, a pretty impressive list. (Dare I say the most impressive precursor listing I've seen all year?)

Sabin, my reasoning for voting for Atonement for casting (and perhaps a main reason for others as well) is that I thought the leads were all so perfectly cast given the characterizations in the novel. I know it's easy to rag on Keira Knightley, but go back and read the passage where McEwan describes Cecilia: it fits her to a T. McAvoy's casting was similarly spot-on. And, of course, the three Brionys not only aced the character as written, but the continuity between the three was rather remarkable.

I don't get the Love in the Library thing either, though. I voted for Vanessa Redgrave's interview.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Good nominations overall.

THE GOOD

James McAvoy IN!!!

Gordon Pinsent. I didn't expect that.

THE BAD

All the Zodiac love. I only understand the casting love

Juno for Best Picture. Helloooo. Over Atonement and many other worthier films?

All the Ratatouille love

No Atonement in Editing? It was one of the best elements of the film
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric wrote:
Penelope wrote:"Love in the Library" was the Most Cinematic Moment from Atonement? Um, no.

Hope you're not suggesting the endless, showy but hollow tracking shot was.
I am. I'd also cite the scene at the fountain over the library scene.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I enjoyed that tracking shot, but I think "Love in the Library" is a great moment for the film.

That said, Sabin's right - there were quite a lot of iconic moments this year. It seems that virtually every film I've seen this year had a perfect moment, no matter the quality of the film.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope wrote:"Love in the Library" was the Most Cinematic Moment from Atonement? Um, no.
Hope you're not suggesting the endless, showy but hollow tracking shot was.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The inclusion of Zodiac over Atonement is bizarre and inexplicable.

Michael Cera's breakthrough was Superbad, not Juno.

Happy to see Affleck nominated in the correct category and McAvoy and Pinsent nommed as well.

"Love in the Library" was the Most Cinematic Moment from Atonement? Um, no.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

jack wrote:Who are the Hall Of Fame indutees? I hope Romero got in.
The Hall of Fame inductees have not been decided yet. That vote will take place once the semi-finalists are whittled down to 10, 5, 5, 5, 5, 8 respectively.

They'll be announced when the winners are announced.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Too much love for Juno and Hairspray and not enough for Into the Wild, otherwise I can't complain.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Who are the Hall Of Fame indutees? I hope Romero got in.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

SPOILERS

The Hotel Eagle scene is the one where Bardem and Brolin first meet with a shot gun through the door.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

THE GOOD...
To start? Everything. Yay us.

All the love for 'The Assassination of Jesse James...' and 'Zodiac'.

Gordon Pinsent & Casey Affleck for lead.

THE BAD...

James McAvoy in lieu of Tommy Lee Jones or Josh Brolin.

An ensemble nomination for 'Atonement'. Doesn't that require more than two actors in the ensemble to be actually good? The nod for 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' follows the same logic but at least it appears that everybody is acting well, even though they're just acting a lot. Contrast with the effortless characterizations in 'The Assassination of Jesse James...' and 'Zodiac'.

A casting nomination for 'Atonement'. Again...

No adapted song nomination for "Hard Sun" from 'Into the Wild'. Retarded. Especially because I didn't vote in this category so I can't complain but Eddie Vedder's version of "Hard Sun" is perfect.

What scene is "Hotel Eagle" again?

(Just for purposes of contrast: my list?
"The Train Robbery" ~ The Assassination of Jesse James...
"Opening Wordless Scene" ~ There Will Be Blood
"Jude Takes the Stage and History is Made" ~ I'm Not There
"The Creature's Rampage" ~ The Host
"Pictures of Dicks" ~ Superbad
...and I will say this about 2007...never have I seen so many movies fall short of greatness both substantially and barely and still produce so many canonic scenes. "The Naked Fight" from 'Eastern Promises'. The "Car Wreck Restart" from 'Death Proof'. The "Rain-Soaked Car Chase" from 'We Own the Night'. I could go on...
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The nominations for the 12th Annual Awards are up.

And, though some may claim that these were influenced (positively or negatively) by the Academy's selections on Tuesday, those few would be wrong. The voting was finished last Friday.

2007 OFTA Film Nominees
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”