DGA Predictions

1998 through 2007
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Joel & Ethan Coen VS Paul Thomas Anderson.

I'm picking the former.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

MovieWes wrote:Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Unforgiven (1992)
Schindler's List (1993)

Crash (2005)
The Departed (2006)
I *knew* that someone could find an exception.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Coens.

And I'm going back on my TWBB/Anderson prediction for AMPAS, even before the DGA is announced. If Anderson wins, and if his movie takes in a respectible box office, then we may have a race. I'm not expecting either to happen. But even putting that aside, I think it's the year of the Bros.

And no, I don't see a split. And no, I don't see a "cancel each other out" scenario.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1201402387
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Unforgiven (1992)
Schindler's List (1993)

Crash (2005)
The Departed (2006)

Edited By MovieWes on 1201402448
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Patton 1970
The French Connection 1971
The Godfather 1972
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I have this feeling that No Country is too violent --we had The Departed just last year--and I don't recall violent films winning two years in a row( someone will point out one!).
Although TWBB *sounds* violent, it really is not.
But I predict Schnabel.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

If Julian Schnabel wins, then he would become the first odd-man-out director to have a legitimate shot at winning the Oscar.

I think it'll be the Coens, though. No Country for Old Men has the feel of a Best Picture winner to me. I had the same feeling about The Departed last year too.

Edited By MovieWes on 1201396369
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Coen Brothers have the momentum, but this could be one of those years where the DGA and Oscar disagree, with Anderson wins best director and the Coens settle for adapted screenplay.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, we have less than 6-8 hours left until the DGA winner is revealed. What do you guys think will happen?

The Coens need this to win the Oscar. If they lose to Anderson, then it looks like Blood will have the support to win Best Picture and Director. If they lose to Julian Schnabel or Tony Gilroy, we'll know that the support for those two films is larger than we expected. Schnabel might prove a director split is imminent. Gilroy winning may point towards a bigger shift. Sean Penn winning isn't likely to show or tell us anything except the DGA loves actors.

I really think the award comes down to the Coens and Anderson. I've seen about the same amount of advertising for each, but Miramax/Vantage must be having a hard time deciding which they're giving their full push to. We may know more after tonight...

Will Win: The Coen Brothers, just because they have a longer history and wider array of films to examine than Anderson.
My Wish: Paul Thomas Anderson. The guy certainly would deserve it for making a tremendous comeback. Not to mention the movie's damned good.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”