Predictions W/L

1998 through 2007
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

In all feature film categories, I had 67/99 correct, which has been about average for me in recent years. Into the Wild wrecked havoc in my predictions for major categories, so in major six I only got 23/30.

There was only one category that I predicted 5/5 - cinematography, a category which I have never predicted fully correct before. Last year I was only 1/5 in cinematography. On the other hand, for the first time ever, there was a category where I didn't get a single nomination correct - make-up.

I'm kicking myself for missing Linney. I like her, and I've often predicted her as something in the way of wishful thinking, so this time, I tried to be smarter and resisted the urge to include her in my predictions (I was under the impression that the film was poorly reviewed).

Edited By Heksagon on 1201342488
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

As for me, not perfect yet not far off either...

Picture - 3/5
Predicted: The Diving Bell And The Butterfly, Into The Wild
Nominated: Atonement, Juno

Director - 4/5
Predicted: Sean Penn - Into The Wild
Nominated: Jason Reitman - Juno

Actress - 4/5
Predicted: Angelina Jolie - A Mighty Heart
Nominated: Laura Linney - The Savages

Actor - 4/5
Predicted: Emile Hirsch - Into The Wild
Nominated: Tommy Lee Jones - In The Valley Of Elah

Supporting Actress - 4/5
Predicted: Catherine Keener - Into The Wild
Nominated: Saoirse Ronan - Atonement

Supporting Actor - 4/5
Predicted: Tommy Lee Jones - No Country For Old Men
Nominated: Philip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War

Original Screenplay - 4/5
Predicted: Knocked Up
Nominated: Ratatouille

Adapted Screenplay - 3/5
Predicted: Into the Wild, Zodiac
Nominated: Atonement, Away From Her

Total: 30/40 = 75%

---

And from the above, there's another reason for me not to like Hoffman and Keener!

Edited By VanHelsing on 1201151107
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I usually get 60/80% by category.

I've made so many prediction lists this year I don't know which one to go by so I'll resort to my Oscar shuldabeens which is part wishful thinking, part prediciton as well as actual prediction.

I got 2 out of 5 best picture slots (Blood, No Country), although if pressed I would have predicted a nod for Michael Clayton over Away From Her, but I missed out on Atonement because I thought Diving Bell had was the better "classy" film and Into the Wild the better "youth" film than Juno.

For actor, I got 3 out of 5, but I suppsoe McAvoy and especially Hirsch were wishful thinking over Jones and either Depp or Clooney.

For actress, I again went 3 out of 5, but am happy to see Laura Linney who I replaced with Keira Knightley at teh last minute but not happy to see la Blanchett even if I was only lukewarm on Jolie.

For supportign actor, I got 4 out of 5, not wanting to see PSH nominated again any time soon.

For supporting actress, I knew I wouldn't get all 5 as I refused to consider Blanchett, but thought Keener would be nominated over Dee.

For director, I got 4 out of 5, having picked Penn over Reitman.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I would be *ecstatic* in the old days if I had REACHED 80%.
I did this year, surprisingly. My heart general rules my head in my choices, and practicality gives way to passion.

I aced Best Picture, and 4/5 for in 3/4 of all the acting categories, and director. I am really quite chuffed!
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

In the old days, my goal was 80% (only for the top 6 categories). That represented very good accomplishment. Today, with a million pundits and polls, 80% is no more that an acceptable minimum. Well, I got exactly 80% in each of the 6 categories - 4 of 5. I didn't ace any.
Supporting Actor was the only one of two that I simply guessed wrong: picked T.L. Jones over P.S. Hoffman.
Supporting Actress: Picked Ronan to edge out Dee, but didn't expect Dee to edge out my Keener pick.
Actress: guessed right on Linney, but thought she'd edge out Blanchett, instead of my Jolie pick.
Actor: Went with Hirsch over Gosling, and T.L. Jones trumped both.
Director: As most I'm assuming did, went with Penn over Reitman, who ranked about 9th on my guess list.
Picture: Right about Juno, but Atonement did in Into the Wild pick.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I did better than I thought I did.

5/5 in Original Screenplay and Cinematography
lots of 4/5 and a few 3/5

Worst: Docu Short 1/3, Song 2/5
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”