Psychic Oscar Prediction Contest

1998 through 2007
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:I sent Reza an e-mail letting him know he almost won.
The contest is not yet finished. Not until AFTER we know the Oscar winners.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I sent Reza an e-mail letting him know he almost won.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Updated scores, post-nominations:

OscarGuy = 22 points
VanHelsing = 16 points
criddic = 17 points
anonymous = 35 points
atomicage = 21 points
Big Magilla = 27 points
Reza = 34 points

I didn't cheat, btw.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Steph2 wrote::p :( :angry:
And Steph is clearly bi-polar
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

:p :( :angry:
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The three eyes just throw me for a loop.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

True, but thsi one is clearly my fault. :O
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Big Magilla wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I forgot all about this. Some of these are pretty embarassing in retrospect. Let's NOT do this again this year!

As embarassing as it looks, I wouldn't mind trying it out this year.

I was being tongue-in-cheek. I guess I should have added a smiley face to make it clear. :O

It's hard to tell how people mean to sound with some of the things they post sometimes. I could call someone a douche and I could either be a acting like an asshole or just a jackass depending on how I were to say it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Zahveed wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I forgot all about this. Some of these are pretty embarassing in retrospect. Let's NOT do this again this year!

I was being tongue-in-cheek. I guess I should have added a smiley face to make it clear. :O
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I forgot all about this. Some of these are pretty embarassing in retrospect. Let's NOT do this again this year!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

An update on the scores so far (one point for every major critics win or nominaton/win at the Globes/SAG's/BFCA's):

OscarGuy = 13 points
VanHelsing = 11 points
criddic = 11 points
anonymous = 15 points
atomicage = 11 points
Big Magilla = 13 points
Reza = 18 points

Reza is the most "psychic" so far. I'll update this again once the Oscar nominations are announced.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

The Atonement WAS NOT a costume drama.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:rolo, this isn't going to be just a pretty costume drama. I see it going the way of The Hours, nomination-wise, rather than The House of Mirth or The White Countess or any of the other films you cited below.
i do not consider THE PAINTED VEIL just a pretty costume drama. i consider it one of the best films of the year. cinematography, costumes, set, score, etc. make it beautiful, but the writing, directing, and acting by the two leads certainly make it better than LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE and a number of other best picture nominees from years past...
...and yet somehow it was completely ignored by the academy. warner bros. really dropped the fcuking ball with this one. unlike miramax or dreamworks (in the past) which could handle two films being nominated for best picture, they could only focus on THE DEPARTED. i am certainly grateful that was the film that won, but it would have been nice if THE PAINTED VEIL would have been among the nominees.

if you think ATONEMENT is going to stand out from the pack of other well made costume dramas this year (THE GOLDEN AGE, LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA, THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL, LUST CAUTION, etc.) than go ahead. i just think the films with bigger names (cate blanchett vs keira knightley, ang lee vs joe wright) and bigger studios behind them are going to drown out any praise or recognition for the tiny-but-brilliant film from england. i am not saying that is fair, just doing my best to predict what will likely happen.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:James McAvoy in Supporting? No way.

I completely agree, Penelope. McAvoy belongs in lead (just as he should've been considered lead for The Last King of Scotland). Unfortunately, I can see the studio pushing him in support for this film. The argument can be made (not by me but I'm sure someone) that everyone supports Briony in this story. The only reason that Briony herself will be considered in the Best Supporting Actress category is that the character is being played by three different actresses.

rolo, this isn't going to be just a pretty costume drama. I see it going the way of The Hours, nomination-wise, rather than The House of Mirth or The White Countess or any of the other films you cited below.

Edited By flipp525 on 1180921122
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “The 8th Decade”