Best Supporting Actor - The Exciting Race

1998 through 2007
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You're half right. The problem with 'Michael Clayton' is that it's not about anything and the best thing with 'Michael Clayton' is that it's not about anything. Tom Wilkinson's performance is halfway tone appropriate but that doesn't make it any less silly. I'm inclined to penalize him for such blatant ham sandwich creation of a "Very Special Person", but I will concede it is tone appropriate. I wanted to be drawn into this character's madness and that didn't begin to happen.
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

How else was the man supposed to play that role Sabin? The whole plot of this film is ludicrous (fun, but ludicrous) and he found the appropriate note for it.

And if you ask me, he fares much better than Clooney who just walks around clenched and tense all the time like a virgin at a prison rodeo.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I wouldn't say Tom Wilkinson nails bipolar. I don't think he's bad but I didn't buy him as George Clooney's colleague either. It's not a bad performance but just too easily the kind that gets nominated. He's my least favorite in this category by far.

The others are fantastic. I think Hal Holbrook has to win.

Edited By Sabin on 1201160534
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

cam wrote:The race for Best Supporting Actor , this year, for me, is the most exciting one, in that every one of the nominees could take home the Oscar. The other categories have a "weak link" somewhere, which narrows the odds. No weak link here:
You're right there's no "weak link" in terms of the quality of the performances, but I don't think any one of them can win. I think Hoffman and Affleck are definitely out of it and I don't think Wilkinson has much chance either. The only one who can upset Bardem is Holbrook.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

It's either gonna be Bardem (his film is nominated for Best Picture) or Holbrook (if they decide to go with a veteran again).

The other 3 especially Hoffman (another Oscar so soon? GET REAL!!!) don't really stand a chance.

If an upset is really gonna happen, then it will be Affleck -- brother Ben, pals Clooney, Damon & Pitt are most likely to vote for him. Even Pitt's other half might help to vote for him too.

Edited By VanHelsing on 1201152643
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

The race for Best Supporting Actor , this year, for me, is the most exciting one, in that every one of the nominees could take home the Oscar. The other categories have a "weak link" somewhere, which narrows the odds. No weak link here:

Casey Affleck: The Assassination...
Javier Bardem: No Country For Old Men
PS Hoffman: Charlie's War
Hal Holbrook; IntoThe Wild
Tom Wilkinson: Michael Clayton

First of all, Wilkinson nails bipolar in Michael Clayton: those of you who thought this was an over-the-top performance, think again.

I haven't see this film, but it appears from what you all say , Affleck is noticeably different, and you remember him.. I will take everyone's word for it. Please tell me how good he is.

Bardem: the critics' darling with the haircut. He is the favourite, IMO

Holbrook: apart from the fact he is married to the wonderful Dixie Carter, he exudes class and Broadway and Serious Acting. He is this year's Alan Arkin, and more so. He's older.

Hoffman: He steals this show, pure and simple.

"What's a Mother to do?"

Edited By cam on 1201072577

Return to “The 8th Decade”