Called It! - here is where you get to brag

1998 through 2007
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

If it wasn't for everone touting Into the Wild, I would have left Jason Reitman in for Director and Away from Her for Screenplay. However, I did call all the Best Picture nominees, Ruby Dee, all the Cinematography noms, 3:10 to Yuma for Sound Mixing & The Golden Compass for Art Direction.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

anonymous wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Beowulf out for Best Animated Film. I had called it long ago even at the exclusion of our normal predictions, I knew it wouldn't fill the third slot.

Most people saw that coming a mile away.
I was predicting it long before the film even came out and critics had weighed in. That was my point. Yes others happened to agree with me later, but I also remember a number of people including it in their early predictions.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Beowulf out for Best Animated Film. I had called it long ago even at the exclusion of our normal predictions, I knew it wouldn't fill the third slot.
Most people saw that coming a mile away.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Beowulf out for Best Animated Film. I had called it long ago even at the exclusion of our normal predictions, I knew it wouldn't fill the third slot.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I called Best Picture 5 for 5.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:rolo, if I were you, I'd claim Cate Blanchett in Best Actress. You've been calling that ever since before the film was released.
i dropped her around early november when i saw the film. i replaced her with keira knightley and held firm even after blanchett was nominated for the sag award. oh, well.

i guess the academy really loves when blanchett plays other people. of her five nominations, only one was not an actual person.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Best Adapted Screenplay: Sarah Polley for Away From Her.

rolo, if I were you, I'd claim Cate Blanchett in Best Actress. You've been calling that ever since before the film was released.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

5/5 in screenplay and cinematography

Plus I picked There Will Be Blood in Art Direction and Sound Editing where it wasn't really expected to do as well as it did.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I was five for five for Best Supporting Actor.

Thank you. That is all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i am not saying no one else was predicting these movies being nominated in these categories, i just know i felt pretty alone there toward the end championing these three predix.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Away From Her for Adapted Screenplay.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

so there are those nominations which were all but assured. towards the end our lists all seemed to be looking the same. however, all of us also had some unique picks. some of it was wishful thinking, some of it was intuition, and some of it was just wanting to be different.
well, here is where we get to pat ourselves on the back for getting right those surprise nominees.
these are mine:

Best Picture
Atonement

Editing
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly

Score
3:10 To Yuma

Return to “The 8th Decade”