Pick the Surprise

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I got two in my Pick the Surprise guesses: Atonement in for Best Picture and Cate Blanchett in for Actress.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote:But what's gonna happen is Greenwood will be snubbed, sending shockwaves throughout the entertainment industry. This will have a ripple effect, carrying over to the New York Stock Exchange, which will then take a 700-1000 point drop.

Damn you, AMPAS.

Like I said. One hour after the Oscar nominations announcement, the stock market plunged over 400 points in shock.

But as you can see, it's clawing its way back. Mencken & Schwartz has reported a very positive AMPAS earning period. Due to this encouraging development, Disney and Clive Davis have prompted shareholders to infuse more money into the market. Burt Bacharach and Diane Warren have reportedly been talked off the ledge and are now music industry CEOs.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1201019692
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Due to a clerical error, PricewaterhouseCoopers doesn't receive any memos from the AMPAS head office over the three-day weekend, and Johnny Greenwood's nomination for Best Score is processed and official.

(I've never even seen the movie, and I'm not a Radiohead fan, but I'm still peeved at this.)

But what's gonna happen is Greenwood will be snubbed, sending shockwaves throughout the entertainment industry. This will have a ripple effect, carrying over to the New York Stock Exchange, which will then take a 700-1000 point drop.

Damn you, AMPAS.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1200976869
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

I have the feeling that Supporting Actress will include someone from left field. I'm thinking Jennifer Garner (Juno) or Olympia Dukakis (Away from Her) could creep in.

Best Actor also seems ripe for a head-turner (Mortenson, Hirsch, Gosling, and Depp all seem vulnerable to me). I think I'd be less shocked than most if James McAvoy is nominated despite Atonement's freefall (similar to Jude Law's somewhat puzzling nod for Cold Mountain). Matthieu Amalric could be swept in with Diving Bell love and Tommy Lee Jones (In the Valley of Elah) might receive a body-of-work nod.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Best Director: Sidney Lumet- Before the Devil Knows You're Dead or Tim Burton- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Best Actor: Josh Brolin- No Country for Old Men, Mathieu Amalric- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, or Frank Langella- Starting Out in the Evening
Best Actress: Amy Adams- Enchanted, Nikki Blonsky- Hairspray, or Keira Knightley- Atonement
Best Supporting Actor: Ben Foster- 3:10 to Yuma, Paul Dano- There Will Be Blood, or Max von Sydow- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Best Supporting Actress: Kelly MacDonald- No Country for Old Men
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Penelope wrote:If there is a left-field surprise, I think it'll be Sarah Polley for Best Director.
Totally agree. Hope the same hand is not stretched out to Ben Affleck, though.

Also, I would be surprised if Ruby Dee wasn't the only nomination for American Gangster.

I would be horrified if Travolta edged out the more worthy competitors, and equally horrified if Omnipresent Cate got a Best Actress nomination.

It would be a pleasant surprise if Way Back Into Love from Music and Lyrics gets nominated. What a pleasant film, and the the song holds the film and the relationship together, not just tacked onto the end, like so many are.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Best Picture
Away from Her would be a pleasant surprise, if not a shock. Nominations for early favorites Atonement and Sweeney Todd would not surprise me, though I am not expecting them.

Best Actor
Frank Langella would be a nice surprise.

Best Actress
Nikki Blonsky would be a shock to me, though apparently not to some of you who have her in your predictions.

Best Supporting Actor
Max von Sydow would be a welcome surprise, but anyone nominated instead of Seymour would be welcome unless it's John Travolta.

Best Supporting Actress
Any announcement that doesn't begin with Cate Blanchett would be a surprise, and a welcome one. More than one nomination for Atonement in this category at this point would be a surprise as well.

Best Director
Sarah Polley would be a most pleasant surprise.

Screenplays
I can't think of any that would really surprise me at this point.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Not only do I think that Atonement will be nominated, but think it may actualy win. For some reason I can't see No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood winning Best Picture. Maybe Into The Wild or, God forbid, Juno could take the prize, but Atonement is the only contender that feels like a Best Picture winner. I for one can't understand why the film has been absent from so many precursor awards nominations.

All will come to light tomorrow (when I'm not doubt proven wrong).

As far as surprise nominees, I'm going to say American Gangster a la Master & Commander. And my hope beyond hope that I'm Not There lands a Best Picture/Director nomination.

Edited By jack on 1200950764
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

If there is a left-field surprise, I think it'll be Sarah Polley for Best Director.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We've done the left field nomination thread, but can we pick the surprises? There's generally one or two each year, but it's hard to isolate to any one category. So, take the Top 8 categories and predict one Surprise in each. They can be who gets in or who gets left out. And they can't already be in your own final predictions.

Best Picture:
Based on my predictions, I think Atonement might actually rally to a nomination. It would be quite surprising to many of us (though some are predicting it), but with no precursor love, it's hard to imagine the film rallying.

Best Actor:
James McAvoy. While this is partially a wish, if my surprise prediction above comes true, it's possible he could be carried along.

Best Actress:
We keep thinking she's going to get ignored, but will she? Cate Blanchett may very well shock several by earning a nod for Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Best Supporting Actor:
The surprise here will be Paul Dano picking up a nod when he didn't get one from SAG and taking the slot away from Casey Affleck.

Best Supporting Actress:
A triple-play by the Brionys. Vanessa Redgrave and Romola Garai making it alongside Saoirse Ronan.

Best Director:
Since I predicted David Fincher in my final predictions, I can't very well predict him as a surprise. The surprise may very well be Sidney Lumet for a film that may get only one other nomination in screenplay.

Best Original Screenplay:
Superbad earns a nod.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
I really don't know, so I'll say Lust, Caution.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1200949837
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”