Enchanted and Blood Ineligible for Score - what the fuck?

1998 through 2007
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

And in the past?
I know about The Two Towers, Piano, The Truman Show (why so??)...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The only officially revealed ones are Into the Wild, There Will Be Blood and Enchanted. Once is also out since it doesn't have a score, just original songs.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Do anyone know which scores were also ineligible? I m too lazy to google it. :)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Exactly, that's my point. Great songs and/or scores have been previously got left out of competition for a last minute rule or a confusing one. That year they even did a communicate to explain some "issues" on some specific songs. Maybe my english is growing lousier...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:A Love that will Never grow Old from BBM - the should-have-been-winner?
No. We heard that in the background for just a few seconds, and it did not register.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think it's been pointed out elsewhere, but this ruling against There Will Be Blood is especially ridiculous when you consider that last year's winner in this category, Babel, drew heavily from previously-recorded material, and the most famous (and only decent, in my opinion) piece of music in the film--the one at the very end--was by Ryuichi Sakamoto. The only original thing Santollalla contributed to Babel's score was a few plink-plinks on his guitar.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

This is such bullshit!! No Enchanted? No Wild?? No Blood??? Why don't they just scrap this category altogether this year?
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

cam wrote:Every year the APMAS blocks something or other because of , I think, jealousy, and to keep their choices "pure". What about the Theme From Shaft, it was NOT a song--yet it won Best Song? And words for Never On Sunday and The High and Mighty were quickly written specially so they could be considered as "songs". Bullshit.
On the other hand original compositions got left out for a confusing or last minute rule, or even worse, for very specific rules that only applies in the context of a specific film. Remember The Towers issue? What about songs like Can you Dance Like a Hippogriff from HP&TGOF (not a great song, though, but the rule that left it out of competition was so out of nowhere that it actually pissed me off) and A Love that will Never grow Old from BBM - the should-have-been-winner?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Um, wow.

I'm going to switch my prediction to 'The Assassination of Jesse James...' because that's the only band-aid imaginable for that kind of stupid.

Edited By Sabin on 1200961743
"How's the despair?"
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

The Original BJ wrote:The logic behind this ruling is not only stupid, but sets a bizarre, confusing precedent for future film musicals.
The future?
The future will see many more bizarre rules that are imposed upon composers, etc. who this year pissed them off and slipped around a rule. The rule may be a bad one to begin with, but was imposed on some other hapless tunemith who pissed them off earlier.
AND they just announced it now, not in December, which might have been civil.

Huge shame. The mechanics of the music and those of the machines are an integral part of the wonderful film. Cannot see how they could separate present- and past- improvised
lines of music, or what are basically rhythms--do they think that there is some sort of copyright on rhythms? Makes no sense.

But then, we didn't expect it.
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

This is really sad news! The score from TWBB was probably one of the most memorable things about it (apart from Lewis).

I can't believe they're willing to make this category irrelevant by disqualifying the best score for 2007 over a few rules.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Sonic Youth wrote:
jack wrote:Last year's Babel win was insane. Wasn't the main theme taken from The Insider? I watched that the other day, and can sware thats where the music came from.

It was used in The Insider, but it was not written for the film. It's an original Santaolalla composition.

Which doesn't dispute the original point, but that neeeded to be clarified.
I knew I heared it in The Insider. Obviously the music branch have a short term memory.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

jack wrote:Last year's Babel win was insane. Wasn't the main theme taken from The Insider? I watched that the other day, and can sware thats where the music came from.

It was used in The Insider, but it was not written for the film. It's an original Santaolalla composition.

Which doesn't dispute the original point, but that neeeded to be clarified.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1200958589
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

scores assembled from the music of more than one composer.

Hans Zimmer was nominated for Gladiator, which had three composers including Zimmer. He was the sole nominee mind you. But that is a recent example. When were these rules decided?

Last year's Babel win was insane. Wasn't the main theme taken from The Insider? I watched that the other day, and can sware thats where the music came from. James Horner's another example of this branch's cliquey rules.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

From Variety:

http://www.variety.com/blog/890000489/post/370020437.html

Edited By Akash on 1200956750

Return to “The 8th Decade”