Original Song Score

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Into the Wild wouldn't qualify anyway because it only has 4 songs and none further the story or are visually performed.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be filled. Though, if they really wanted they could have rewarded an honorary award, but they won't.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Akash wrote:I'm so confused. What's the difference between Original Song Score and Original Musical/Comedy Score? And is Song Score an open category this year? Does this mean films like Enchanted and Once will be eligible here?

I'm so confused...
There is no "Original Song Score" anymore. It's "Original Musical".

And the difference is that "Original Musical/Comedy Score" is the same thing as "Original Score", but it only included scores from comedies and musicals. When that category existed, Best Original Score was split between Comedies/Musicals and Dramas.

"Best Original Musical" would be musicals with original songs. And it probably won't take place this year because there has to be a minimum of 9 musicals with a minimum of 5 original songs. According to OscarGuy's website, there might be 6 eligible films (and that's only if "Into the Wild" or "Music & Lyrics" can be considered musicals).
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damn. I wonder if there will come a time when there would enough contenders to justify activating the ORIGINAL MUSICAL category since the musicals that are being made right now are either Broadway adaptations or jukebox musicals (like Across the Universe and Moulin Rouge).
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm so confused. What's the difference between Original Song Score and Original Musical/Comedy Score? And is Song Score an open category this year? Does this mean films like Enchanted and Once will be eligible here?

I'm so confused...
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The Academy changed the name of "Best Original Song Score" to "Best Original Musical" several years ago. Hence, the category no longer exists, but a new one has taken its place.

Here are the rules for this year...

RULE SIXTEEN
SPECIAL RULES FOR THE MUSIC AWARDS
A. CATEGORIES

I. Original Score

An original score is a substantial body of music in the form of original dramatic underscoring written specifically for the film by the submitting composer.

II. Original Song

An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the film or as the first music cue in the end credits.

III. Original Musical

An original musical consists of not fewer than five original songs (as defined in A. II above) by the same writer or team of writers either used as voice-overs or visually performed. Each of these songs must be substantively rendered, clearly audible, intelligible, and must further the storyline. What is simply an arbitrary group of songs unessential to the storyline of the film will not be considered eligible. The adapter (if any) or the composer of the instrumental score may be considered eligible — in this category only — if his or her contribution is deemed relevant and substantial.

B. ELIGIBILITY

1. The work must be specifically created for the eligible feature-length motion picture.

2. The work must be the result of a creative interaction between the filmmaker(s) and the composer(s) or songwriter(s) who have been engaged to work directly on the film.

3. The measure of the work’s qualification shall be its effectiveness, craftsmanship, creative substance and relevance to the dramatic whole.

4. The work must be recorded for use in the film prior to any other usage, including public performance or exploitation through any media whatsoever.

5. Only the principal composer(s) or songwriter(s) responsible for the conception and execution of the work as a whole shall be eligible for an award. This expressly excludes from eligibility all of the following:

a) supervisors

b) partial contributors (e.g., any writer not responsible for the overall design of the work)

c) contributors working on speculation

d) scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other pre-existing music

e) scores diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs

f) scores assembled from the music of more than one composer.

6. No more than two statuettes will normally be given in the Original Song category. A third statuette may be awarded when there are three essentially equal contributors to a song.

7. The Executive Committee shall resolve all rules interpretations and all questions of eligibility.

8. It is within the sole and confidential discretion of the Board of Governors to determine what awards, if any, shall be given.

C. SUBMISSION

1. For an achievement to be eligible for nomination in any of the three music categories, an OFFICIAL SUBMISSION FORM, obtainable from the Academy, must be requested personally by the principal writer(s) who alone may make the submission.

2. The submission form must be signed by all submitting writers and must be accompanied by a complete Music Cue Sheet (listing all music cues), Vocal Lead Sheets (in the Original Song and Original Musical categories), and in the Original Song category, a DigiBeta clip of each song showing how each song is used in the film.

3. Submissions may be made prior to the qualifying Los Angeles release opening, but must be made no later than 60 days after such opening, or by Monday, December 3, 2007 by 5 p.m. PST, whichever comes first.

4. The Executive Committee has the right, but not the obligation, to initiate submissions in all three categories, but must do so no later than noon on December 31, 2007.

D. VOTING

1. A Reminder List of works submitted in the Original Score and Original Musical categories shall be sent with a nominations ballot to all members of the Academy Music Branch who shall vote in the order of their preference for not more than five achievements in each category.

2. In the Original Score category (and Original Musical category, if activated), the five achievements in each category receiving the highest number of votes on mail ballots will become the nominations for final voting for the award.

3. In the Original Song category, Music Branch members shall meet to screen clips of the eligible songs and vote on the achievements. Following the screening of the clips, voting shall be conducted as follows:

Nominations will be determined by an averaged point system of voting using 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5 or 6. Only those songs receiving an average score of 8.25 or more shall be eligible for nomination. There may not be more than five nor fewer than three nominations.

4. If there are 25 or fewer qualified works submitted in any category, the Executive Committee may recommend to the Board of Governors that nominations be limited to three. If there are nine or fewer qualifying works submitted in any category, the Executive Committee may recommend to the Board of Governors that no award be given in that category for the current year.

5. The category of Original Musical (III) may be activated only by special request of the Music Branch Executive Committee to the Board of Governors in a year when the field of eligible submissions is determined to be of sufficient quantity and quality to justify award competition.

6. The entire active and life Academy membership shall vote for final selections in each category: ORIGINAL SCORE, ORIGINAL SONG and ORIGINAL MUSICAL.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No, the Comedy/Musical Score and Drama Score categories that existed for 4 years were combined back into the Original Score category. Original Song Score is and always has been a separate category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I could see a third possible nominee in Enchanted. Wasn't the catagory called Best Comedy or Musical Score? I remember most Disney films dominating this catagory. I think the last film to win here was Shakespeare In Love in 1999.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The category hasn't made a return since the 1980s even when it was put back in in the late 90s. I wonder if we could see two nominees this year: Into the Wild and Once. I don't know that they will and they could very well just give an honorary trophy, but what do you guys think?

Personally, I'd give it to Once. I didn't think the songs in Into the Wild were that great, but I love more than 60% of the songs in Once.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”