36%
The Departed
No votes

Total votes: 58

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: (2006) Worst Best Picture Winner of the Decade

Post by nightwingnova »

Crash - very contrived, manipulative, sentimental dreck.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Okri wrote:I thought Zeta-Jones was the best thing about Chicago. She was bitchy and sexy.
She's always bitchy and blandly sexy. That didn't require anything more from her than waking up in the morning.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I thought Zeta-Jones was the best thing about Chicago. She was bitchy and sexy.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh I actually agree with you on Zellweger who I liked more than I thought I would. At least she threw herself into the role - froggy voice and all - which is more than I can say for Zeta-Jones who did absolutely nothing with what was easily the most DELICIOUS part.

And Cameron Diaz had no right being anywhere near Gangs of New York. Or any other film for that matter. A dull, unintelligent, utterly useless actress.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:While I thought The Two Towers (the best of the Rings films) and Gangs of New York were more deserving, I was one of the few people hoping the last minute dash wins by The Pianist would culminate in an upset for Best Picture.

I hated every second of Gangs of New York. I thought it was simply awful. Cameron Diaz was horribly miscast, the plot had no momentum, and the sets looked fake. Daniel Day-Lewis was impressive but he always is. I was completely bored by that film.

Chicago, for all its faults, is at least fun to watch. I thought Renée Zellweger's creaky voice fit the character of Roxie well. She's not supposed to be any good after all. A no-talent made famous by happenstance. Just like Sally Bowles in Cabaret isn't necessarily supposed to be the best singer. You're right about Queen Latifah and John C. Reilly, though -- they were definitely the standouts.

Edited By flipp525 on 1193535271
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh I forgot, American Beauty is pretty odious too. The most deserving winners on this list were Million Dollar Baby and The Departed, and I also liked Shakespeare in Love and The Return of the King (though I would have voted for The Thin Red Line and Lost in Translation respectively).

And the less said about Crash the better.

Edited By Akash on 1193534592
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Chicago is not as bad as A Beautiful Mind (although that film is at least buoyed by Jennifer Connelly's performance) and neither film is anywhere near as atrocious as Gladiator, just to be clear.

But no I didn't care for Chicago. Otherwise terrific songs performed by actors who can't sing or dance - or in Zeta-Jones' case, act (seriously, does she emote anything in this film? And hers is the juiciest role!) Queen Latifah and John C Reilly are the best things in it and Richard Gere is downright embarrassing. It's the kind of performance where you want to cover your eyes not just because it's bad but because you feel so bad for the actor. One of the worst performances I've ever seen. Add to the poor cast Rob Marshall's insipid direction and a very claustrophobic set, and really what is there to love in this film? I also did not like Condon's odd screenplay choice to "explain away" the musical numbers as fictive worlds in the imagination of Roxie, as if he couldn't just let it be a real musical (sorry, Damien) - it was too dull, too staid, too timorous.

I really never understood the love for this film. The positive reviews shocked me and 13 Oscar nominations? Really?? While I thought The Two Towers (the best of the Rings films) and Gangs of New York were more deserving, I was one of the few people hoping the last minute dash wins by The Pianist would culminate in an upset for Best Picture.

Oh and a quick search shows the film was not as universally praised as I remembered. God bless Ed Gonzalez http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/film_review.asp?ID=593
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Seriously, what's wrong with Chicago? It was great.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'm pretty sure Penelope loved Chicago and liked Gladiator.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Penelope wrote:The combination of my intense, yeah, almost obsessive dislike, no, passionate hatred of all things Hilary Swank and Paul Haggis lead me to vote for Million Dollar Baby, with Crash a close second.
Really Penelope, REALLY? Especially with A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator and Chicago in there??
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Since I haven't actually seen "A Beautiful Mind" (and rotten consensus ensures I probably never will, unless I need to watch all the winners ever, like OG recently did), I voted for "Crash".
It's nice to see the love (hate?) so evenly spread amongst the less-obvious winners. One vote for every other movie except the latest winner? Democracy at work.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The combination of my intense, yeah, almost obsessive dislike, no, passionate hatred of all things Hilary Swank and Paul Haggis lead me to vote for Million Dollar Baby, with Crash a close second.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'A Beautiful Mind'. I just think the guy's a dick. How many dead babies floating head down in the bathtub is it going to take before you take the meds you so very clearly need?
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's rehash this one, too.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”