Best Picture 2006 Poll - Which would YOU vote for?

1998 through 2007

Best Picture 2006 Poll - Which would YOU vote for?

Babel
2%
The Departed
42%
Letters From Iwo Jima
23%
Little Miss Sunshine
8%
The Queen
25%

Total votes: 64

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Picture 2006 Poll - Which would YOU vote for?

Post by nightwingnova »

The much-celebrated "Iwo Jima" is the only film I've yet to see.

I found The Departed to be sloppy police potboiler. The Hong Kong original was somewhat better. Babel was enjoyable if blatantly contrived and unbelievable. Sunshine was good fun, if formulaic. I should see The Queen again. In 2006, I thought it was fine.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

For me, Letters From Iwo Jima is the clear stand-out: a powerful, beautifully visualized epic.

But I like most of the other nominees as well. Babel doesn't achieve the highs it aims for, but gets points from me for ambition. (I know, I know, y'all despise it.) The Queen is lovely but rather limited in scope. The Departed is stylish and plenty of fun but not much more.

The nadir, of course, is Little Miss Sunshine -- a little nothing.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I don´t see a sure chance for The Departed even though it´s a wide open race. Babel has better chances IMO. Last but not least, LMS could emerge as the final winner,
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

cam wrote:I am wonderfing if Babel and Departed AND Little
Miss Sunshine split the vote, will it go to The Queen?

I am seriously thinking that this is the year that the vote splitting theory may actually come into play. And I also believe that The Queen could be the most likely beneficiary.

Having seen all five I chose The Departed over The Queen.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

My vote is for The Departed, but either Letters or The Queen would also be good choices.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

I am happy to see that "The Departed", my favorite drama of the year, is winning this poll. I was really rooting for it for Best Picture should my favorite comedy, "Little Miss Sunshine", not win.

I am upset that the bizarre "Babel" is still a possibility for Best Picture. Argh.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I am wonderfing if Babel and Departed AND Little
Miss Sunshine split the vote, will it go to The Queen?
That'as my hopeful sceanrio.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Having seen my last nominee, Letters From Iwo Jima, today, I feel it is by far the best of the nominees, as well as being up there with They Were Expendable, The Biig Red One and The Thin Red Line as one of the great war movies ever. What a beautiful and heartbreaking film. (How the hell can Little Miss Sumppump even be on the same ballot as this masterpiece?)

However, if I were an Academy member I would vote for Babel, because I would enjoy seeing the Academy continue its slide into irrelevance.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Could Eastwood repeat his previous victory?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Letters From Iwo Jima.

The Departed and The Queen are both pretty good, and I won't be disappointed if one of those two wins. The other two both stink.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Letters From Iwo Jima gets my vote in a walk.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm rooting for the Departed at the Oscars only because I think it has a slight chance. But if I could vote myself, I'd have to go with Iwo Jima. God bless Clint Eastwood for being one of the few true contemporary classical American artists.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'll wait until I see Iwo Jima.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

The Queen, although I haven’t seen Letters either (I don’t think it would make any difference). Of the four other films, The Queen is easily the best, if you ask me. I could never have imagined that I would one day be supporting a film by Stephen Frears for a Best Picture Oscar.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

My vote goes to The Queen, the only four star film of the bunch (I have not seen Iwo Jima yet and probably won't for awhile)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”