The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
7%

Total votes: 57

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

More recent poll exists.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

How about "Most Egregious"?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Expanding the definition of the word "worst" is also in order.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I still think two or three of these winners are worse than Crash. But it probably is time for a new one.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hmmm, you think we need to update this poll?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

As much as I hated a Beautiful Mind, as much as I thought Gladiator's win was a travesty, this poll is in desperate need of an update, I'm sorry to say.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I enjoyed every one of these, but if I had to choose the least deserving of the actual award, I'd say "Gladiator" (although I own it and I think Crowe was among the best actor choices of the decade for a credible brooding lead performance in a gladiator epic, which few actors could do as well as he did.)
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

A Beautiful Mind. I can´t understand why this picture won.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I had a hard time deciding between Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind. My initial reaction was Beautiful Mind because this poll brought back my feelings of bewilderment and disappointment when I saw what Howard and Goldsmith did with this very interesting true story. I read Sylvia Kassar's biography the summer before the film's release and loved every page. I was looking forward to seeing Crowe and Connelly portray the Nashes. They are good actors and the book showed them to be interesting people who had several interesting experiences.

I was stunned when I saw the film. Howard and Goldsmith decided to ditch the true story, which was way more interesting (and cinematic) than the story they chose to tell. Perhaps my disappointment over this decision distorts my judgment over the quality of the story and film. People I discussed the film with who did not know who John Nash was before seeing it liked it much more than I did.

So I voted for Gladiator, which I think is no more than popcorn entertainment that had no business being nominated. I liked Gladiator, but I was flabbergasted that it was even being discussed as a Best Picture candidate during Fall 2000.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I went with A Beautiful Mind, a film I find no real redeeming value for.

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

A Beautiful Mind by far. Gladiator at least offered good, idiotic fun, and Chicago's bland music was redeemed by Gere & Zellweger's smart performances and some canny staging. The others I like to varying degrees, although only Lord of the Rings would make my personal list.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

God, how does one choose among American Beauty, Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind, each atrocious in its own way.

Well, American Beauty at least had the performances of Thora Birch, Wes Bentley and what's her name the blonde one. I suppose A Beautful Mind was not without its amusing moments because of its sheer preposterousness. But Gladiator was completely worthless and stupid, and I can't think of even a single redeeming facet about it. I choose Gladiator.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A Beautiful Mind. A BM indeed.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

American Beauty.
Bruce_Lavigne
Graduate

Post by Bruce_Lavigne »

Gladiator, a sub-par Bruckheimer-esque action flick masquerading as a historical epic.

Return to “The 8th Decade”