The Official Best Animated Feature Thread

1998 through 2007
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I think you'd like A Scanner Darkly, Damien. It's a very smart picture (and plus, I know how much you like Richard Linklater).

It's also currently my favorite movie of the year, animated or not.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

MovieWes wrote:There are 18 animated films this year, so it looks as if we'll have 5 nominees after all...

2006 Animated Films

"The Ant Bully"
"Arthur and the Invisibles"
"Barnyard: The Original Party Animals"
"Captain Sabertooth"
"Cars"
"Curious George"
"Doogal"
"Everyone’s Hero"
"Flushed Away"
"Happy Feet"
"Ice Age: The Meltdown"
"Monster House"
"Open Season"
"Over the Hedge"
"Renaissance"
"Romeo & Juliet: Sealed With a Kiss"
"A Scanner Darkly"
"The Wild"
And each and every one of them would be a worthy addition to the Academy's honor roll of Oscar winners. They all would bring distinction upon the Academy.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Yikes, there is no reason to have five nominees with all these, ahem, worthwhile, contenders.

To update my post below, I did catch Renaissance, and it is certainly not a renaissance of any kind. The plot was an incoherent snoozefest, and I'll even take some issue with the film's widely-praised look: its high-contrast black-and-white seemed blinding at times and also incredibly monotonous. Half the time I couldn't tell which character was which and where anybody was because the whole movie looked the same.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

There are 18 animated films this year, so it looks as if we'll have 5 nominees after all...

2006 Animated Films

"The Ant Bully"
"Arthur and the Invisibles"
"Barnyard: The Original Party Animals"
"Captain Sabertooth"
"Cars"
"Curious George"
"Doogal"
"Everyone’s Hero"
"Flushed Away"
"Happy Feet"
"Ice Age: The Meltdown"
"Monster House"
"Open Season"
"Over the Hedge"
"Renaissance"
"Romeo & Juliet: Sealed With a Kiss"
"A Scanner Darkly"
"The Wild"
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Watch out for Over the Hedge. It was incredibly well liked and after a bunch of duds after, it seems like more of a contender for a nod.

The category isn't entirely based on number of films in release. More films ALLOWS them to choose more nominations. For the category to exist, there must be at least one film that receives a high enough rating from the animation branch. Additionally, the rules say MAY, thus meaning they don't have to create a full slate of 5 nominees. They actually can just bestow one Oscar or none.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I think some sentimental votes will go to Everyone's Hero. The nod for Cars seems inevitable.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I really don't like that the number of nominees in this category is based on number of films. There may be a lot of animated features this year, but there are very few good ones, and no great ones to date. I liked both A Scanner Darkly and Cars, both the former is no Waking Life and the latter is no . . . well, the rest of the PIXAR movies.

I'll be seeing Renaissance tomorrow, but, given the reviews' criticisms of the plot, I don't have incredibly high hopes.

Judging from the trailer, I can't believe the folks behind Wallace and Gromit had anything to do with Flushed Away. And as for Happy Feet, I don't think I can stomach another movie about penguins after that last one.

And I'm probably in the minority, but I wasn't all that wild about Monster House. I liked its relatively old-school look, and its lack of "hip" references, but I thought the plot consisted of one too many loud, uninspired set pieces in a row. I just found it sort of dull.

Right now I'm rooting for A Scanner Darkly, mostly because it would be cool for Linklater to win an Oscar. The film will either be a non-contender (maybe they REALLY hated Waking Life) or it might get a nod on the basis that voters feel mega-ashamed after the Waking Life snub. (As they should!!!!)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

This would be a good year to discontinue this award.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

There might enough contenders for 5 nominees this year but oddly enough not one of them is shaping up to be the front-runner.

Eligible contenders (so far):

The Ant Bully
Barnyard
Cars
Curious George
Doogal
Everyone's Hero
Flushed Away
Happy Feet
Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
Monster House
Open Season
Over the Hedge
Renaissance
A Scanner Darkly
The Wild

Predictions:

If five, they'll go with: The Ant Bully, Cars, Flushed Away, Happy Feet, Monster House.

If three, they'll go with: Cars, Flushed Away, Happy Feet (If either of the latter two flops critically or commercially, expect Monster House to usurp the spot).

FYI: I hope Monster House gets nommed. I hate to admit it but I like it better than Cars. Probably the best non-PIXAR CGI film.

Return to “The 8th Decade”