Fall Predicitons

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

What about Gong Li in Miami Vice. Has someone considered her for supporting?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks Van Helsing. The review is helpful. Redgrave could very easily win a supporting nod, maybe even another supporting Oscar in what could be another great year for the Brits - O'Toole, Griffiths, Toby Jones, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, et. al.

I am not one of those to jump on the annual here comes Peter O'Toole's Oscar winning role. I haven't considered any of his performances since My Favorite Year 24 years ago as Oscar worthy and neither have the Oscar voters. If this truly is his best role in years, then he has a shot at a nomination and as I said, if he's nominated he'll win against not especially strong competition.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You mean like Martin Scorsese? :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm pulling for the old guy for, at least, a nomination but, quite honestly, this just sounds like the annual "finally-here's-Peter-O'Toole's-Oscar- winning-role-quick-everyone-put-him-at-the-top-of-your-list" post that seems to come out every year at this time.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

OscarGuy wrote:The movie is about two veteran actors (Vanessa Redgrave and Peter O'Toole) whose lives are turned upside down after they meet a brash teenager.

The other veteran actor is actually Leslie Phillips although Redgrave is in the film as well.

British institutions Peter O'Toole and Leslie Phillips have started work on Roger Michell's new feature, 'Venus'.

The 'coming of very old age' story stars the pair as Maurice and Ian, two unsuccessful English actors who eek out a living doing bit parts in TV and film.

When Ian's grand-niece Jessie comes to stay, Maurice shows her the sites and sounds of London while trying to teach the youngster a thing or two about life.

All does not go according to plan however, and Maurice ends up learning some hard lessons about himself.

Co-starring Vanessa Redgrave and Richard Griffiths, the film also introduces newcomer Jodie Whittaker as Jessie.

And hope this helps...

O'Toole impotent? Never! by Baz Bamigboye

Peter O'Toole is clearly having a ball.

In Roger Michell's movie Venus, Maurice, the character he plays, describes himself as a 'scientist of the female heart' and you know in a heartbeat that once upon a time, he studied many specimens of the female sex in whatever he was using as a lab.

O'Toole shows a lust for life, even though Maurice is now impotent. In the best role he's had in years, O'Toole invests the part with passion, humour and sadness.

But then it was this very same blue-eyed charmer who, in the briefest of scenes, stole Alexander and made the recent Lassie almost bearable.

And his portrayal several years ago of Jeffrey Bernard was so astute that every time I walk past the London theatre running the revival of Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell, I see O'Toole's face on the poster and not Tom Conti, the present incumbent of the role.

O'Toole's not the only great joy of watching Venus, which I caught for a second time this week. There's Leslie Phillips as Ian, another veteran actor and close friend of Maurice.

His niece's daughter (screen find of the year Jodie Whittaker) has come to look after him, but she's driving him nuts.

Ian complains to Maurice "I bought a piece of halibut but she didn't know what to do with it", adding dryly: "I wept more than Antigone."

Richard Griffiths plays a friend and Vanessa Redgrave almost steals the movie with a priceless cameo as Maurice's long-estranged wife.

Of course, Maurice becomes infatuated with the great-niece. "I think it's a love story of an odd kind," Kevin Loader, the film's producer, observed.

As O'Toole noted when I saw him on the set: "We're the flesh-and-blood picture."

Special effects and computer-generated images are fine, in moderation, he continued, "but I'm sorry baby, I want a real monkey please!".

In Venus, you certainly get the real O'Toole, at his matchless best, and of course, as you watch him, you can't help but think of the grand roles in epic pictures of his past.

The movie will go to the Toronto International Film Festival and it's highly probable it'll get a prestige slot at the London Film Festival.

It will go on release around the end of the year or in early January.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Tinseltown has been wanting to give Peter O'Toole an Oscar for decades. He was highly insulted when advised he was being given an honorary Oscar a few years ago because he thought that meant they no longer considered him viable for a regular Oscar.

There are three precedents on his side. Both Henry Fonda and Paul Newman finally won Oscars after winning special Oscars and perennial loser Geraldine Page finally won on her eighth nomination. If nominated, he'll almost certainly win against the field of nominees everyone is talking about - including me. The question is will he be nominated? The film's description sounds a bit like those precious little-seen British comedies, Relative Values, Ladies in Lavender, Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont and O'Toole's own Global Heresey which went straight to video in the U.S. as Rock My World.

It would seem to me that the studios that own the video rights to O'Toole's old films would leap on the bandwagon as an Oscar for him mean renewed interest in those films, which adds to hsi odds. But does Miramax have what it takes to mount an Oscar winning campaign without the Weinsteins? Is Disney motivated enough to want to show that they can do it without them? Barring that, is O'Toole's performance strong enough to stand on its own without the publicity?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The movie is about two veteran actors (Vanessa Redgrave and Peter O'Toole) whose lives are turned upside down after they meet a brash teenager. It sounds distinctly like a number of other projects in recent years. The trick will be whether the film is any good. With both Redgrave and O'Toole, it could certainly spark nostalgia for the last "Career Oscars" given out to lead actors for On Golden Pond in 1981 (Hepburn and Fonda).

The differences are: The film's directed by Notting Hill director Roger Michell whose career isn't all that spectacular, though it does share some distinct comparisons to Pond director Mark Rydell who wasn't that well known on the Big Screen at the time (nor even really since).

We'll see how reviews are. O'Toole will need some significant buzz to be considered a contender for a career oscar in the Lead category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

It's a bit of both actually. I can't confirm anything but from the bits and pieces that I've read, it seems that Miramax will be pushing O'Toole for Oscar glory. Also, he will be at TIFF to promote the film. And based on his 7 times no win situation, I'm expecting him to be nominated and even win this time round. Provided he is adequate in the film and gets a solid campaign. We'll see...

-------

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Van Helsing, this is the first mention I've seen anywhere of Peter O'Toole. Is this a wild guess or have you actually read or heard something about his new film?
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

My September predictions...

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Ed Harris - Copying Beethoven
Hugh Jackman - The Fountain
Derek Luke - Catch A Fire
Peter O'Toole - Venus
Forest Whitaker - The Last King Of Scotland

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Ben Affleck - Hollywoodland
Alan Arkin - Little Miss Sunshine
Tobey Maguire - The Good German
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Michael Sheen - The Queen

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Judi Dench - Notes On A Scandal
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Sherrybaby
Ashley Judd - Bug
Helen Mirren - The Queen
Meryl Streep - The Devil Wears Prada

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Adriana Barraza - Babel
Cate Blanchett - Notes On A Scandal
Bonnie Henna - Catch A Fire
Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls
Sharon Stone - Bobby

BEST PICTURE
Babel
Catch A Fire
Dreamgirls
Flags Of Our Fathers
Notes On A Scandal

-------

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

rudeboy wrote:The reviews for the film and for Penelope Cruz's performance in the British press have largely been absolutely terrific.

Penelope Cruz is astonishing in that film. Regarding the movie itself, I found it little original and very repetitive of certain almodovarian issues that they determine that the movie loses magic. Talk To Her was his best so far.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I just updated my predictions for August. Not a lot of changes but still you can catch them on the home page.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the New York Daily News, here's a run down on the fall releases:

CRANK
Sept. 1

Jason Statham's poisoned hit man finds out he's got to keep his adrenaline pumped, or he'll drop dead. Fortunately, he has a lot of running around to do, between tracking down an antidote, finding his unsuspecting girlfriend (Amy Smart) and eliminating the enemies who arranged this unusual death trap.

Reason for hope: Statham and Smart, both good in so many things, deserve a high-energy hit.

Elizabeth Weitzman

LOOKING FOR KITTY
Sept. 1

Anyone even remotely familiar with Ed Burns ("The Brothers McMullen") will not be surprised to learn that his latest movie is about men who bond while trying to figure out the eternal mysteries of the opposite sex. And, as usual, Burns both directs and stars, as a detective who helps a high school basketball coach (David Krumholtz) whose wife has split.

Reason for hope: With each movie, Burns matures a little more.

E.W.

THE WICKER MAN
Sept. 1

A remake of a 1973 British horror movie seems like an unusual choice for writer-director Neil LaBute, but there's plenty here to intrigue: Nicolas Cage plays a Washington State sheriff who's pulled into a bizarre, paganistic society during his investigation of a missing child. It's clear that the director is taking some liberties, like casting Ellen Burstyn in the menacing role created by Christopher Lee, but if he messes with the original ending, fans are likely to want him burned at the stake.

Reason for hope: Bad or good, LaBute movies always get people talking.

E.W.

HOLLYWOODLAND
Sept. 8

Did George Reeves, the actor who played Superman in the '50s TV series, commit suicide in 1959, or was the bullet fired by someone else? Though legally chalked up to suicide, Reeves' death has kept conspiracy theories floating in Hollywood for decades, and now it's a speculative drama, starring Ben Affleck as Reeves, Diane Lane as his married lover, Bob Hoskins as a studio exec and Adrien Brody as the P.I. unraveling the mystery.

Reason for hope: Affleck looks great in tights (remember "Daredevil"?).

Jack Mathews

THE PROTECTOR
Sept. 8

After his spectacular debut in 2003's hit "Ong-bak," Thai martial-arts wizard Tony Jaa was hailed as the next Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li rolled into one unstoppable package. Here, Jaa plays a fighter who risks life and limb to save ... his pet elephants? Well, let's be honest: When you've got a guy who can walk on walls, the story is secondary.

Reason for hope: How often does an actor supply his own special effects?

E.W.

THE BLACK DAHLIA
Sept. 15

One of Hollywood's most sensational unsolved crimes - the 1947 murder and dismemberment of raven-haired wanna-be starlet Elizabeth Short - is the subject of this Brian DePalma-directed adaptation of James Ellroy's 1987 novel. The story focuses on two cops (Josh Hartnett, Aaron Eckhart) whose attempts to reconstruct the life of the victim leads them to corruption in their department. Scarlett Johansson is the lover of one of them, and Hilary Swank is an L.A. blue blood with a tawdry connection to the case.

Reason for hope: When the movies adapted an Ellroy novel in 1997, we got "L.A. Confidential."

J.M.

GRIDIRON GANG
Sept. 15

You know the drill: Tough coach takes on attitudinal adolescents, turning them from losers into winners. This time, it's the Rock as a gruff, football-loving guy who motivates the delinquents in this cross between "The Longest Yard" and - well, tons of other inspirational sports dramas. Based on a true story, naturally.

Reason for hope: Doesn't everyone have a soft spot for the Rock?

E.W.

THE LAST KISS
Sept. 15

Here's why you always want to do a little research before planning date night: In this case, a hip soundtrack, a few laughs and a triangle between reluctant grownup Zach Braff, pregnant girlfriend Jacinda Barrett and temptress Rachel Bilson do not a romantic comedy make. Written by Paul Haggis ("Crash") and directed by Tony Goldwyn, this redo of the Italian drama "L'Ultimo Bacio" is actually a bittersweet look at the issues every new adult has to face.

Reason for hope: Braff tends to make pretty smart choices.

E.W.

ALL THE KING'S MEN
Sept. 22

The first movie adapted from Robert Penn Warren's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel earned Oscars in 1949 for Best Picture and for Broderick Crawford's portrayal of a corrupt southern politician (fashioned on the colorful life of Louisiana Gov. Huey Long). Sean Penn takes over for Crawford here. With Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Anthony Hopkins.

Reason for hope: Penn could act circles around Crawford.

J.M.

FLYBOYS
Sept. 22

This true-life drama is about young American pilots who fought with the French before the U.S. entered WorldWar I. James Franco leads a cast of handsome unknowns, but the real lookers are the planes, the head-spinning aerial shots and those midflight explosions.

Reason for hope: There's always room for another well-told war story.

E.W.

THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND
Sept. 27

James McAvoy is best-known in America as "Chronicles of Narnia's" faun, Mr. Tumnus. But Kevin Macdonald's fictionalized biopic, in which he plays Idi Amin's reluctant doctor, may change McAvoy's under-the-radar status. And Forest Whitaker is already generating talk of an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of the Ugandan dictator. Kerry Washington co-stars.

Reason for hope: This complex story has the strong cast it needs.

E.W.

A GUIDE TO RECOGNIZING YOUR SAINTS
Sept. 29

Robert Downey Jr., Rosario Dawson, Dianne Wiest, Shia LaBeouf and Chazz Palminteri star in Dito Montiel's autobiographical drama about a group of childhood friends in 1980s Astoria, Queens. But the actor to keep an eye on is Channing Tatum ("Step Up") as the most volatile member of the teenage crew.

Reason for hope: Montiel and his cast won major awards at Sundance.

E.W.

THE GUARDIAN
Sept. 29

You'd think Kevin Costner would stick to dry land after "Waterworld," but in this action adventure from Andrew Davis ("The Fugitive"), he plays a rescue swimmer who's become embittered since the tragic loss of his team years before. What he needs is a young hot shot he can mentor, to remind him why he got into the life-saving business in the first place. Did someone call for Ashton Kutcher?

Reason for hope: Hunks from two generations, giving us all they've got.

E.W.

SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS
Sept. 29

This loose remake of a 1960 English comedy finds Billy Bob Thornton facing off against Jon Heder (bet you never imagined that pairing before). The latter is an insecure meter maid who takes a class designed to increase his confidence, and Thornton is the teacher he competes against when they both go after the same woman ("Poseidon's" Jacinda Barrett).

Reason for hope: Napoleon Dynamite vs. Bad Santa? Bring it on!

E.W.

THE QUEEN
Sept. 30

Selected to open the 2006 New York Film Festival, Stephen Frears' cheeky film dramatizes British Prime Minister Tony Blair's attempts to save Queen Elizabeth II (Helen Mirren) from a PR disaster after Princess Diana's death. Whether this inside look at the queen's private and public behavior will be respectful has her subjects atwitter, while Dame Helen's performance is getting plenty of talk.

Reason for hope: Frears ("Dangerous Liaisons," "Mrs. Henderson Presents") is the most consistent British filmmaker of his generation.

J.M.

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING
Oct. 4

Seems like this season, everybody's returning to their roots (see also: Tenacious D and James Bond). If you've ever wondered where a young Leatherface honed his bloody hobbies, you'll find answers, and lots of victims, here.

Reason for hope: Jordana Brewster gets all in Leatherface's face. And R. Lee Ermey returns from 2003's remake.

E.W.

LITTLE CHILDREN
Oct. 6

Fans of the writer Tom Perrotta ("Election") have been waiting years for another one of his blackly comic novels to hit the big screen. Now this one comes with some terrific talent, as Todd Field ("In the Bedroom") directs Kate Winslet, Jennifer Connelly, Patrick Wilson and Noah Emmerich in a drama about dysfunctional families and their dark suburban doings.

Reason for hope: Take your pick. From the source material to the cast list, this one has a great pedigree.

E.W.

THE DEPARTED
Oct. 6

Martin Scorsese returns to his strength - the contemporary mob drama - with this remake of a Japanese thriller about a cop who becomes a mole among gangsters and a gangster mole among the police. Leonardo DiCaprio, in his third Scorsese film, is the cop and Matt Damon his opposite in the Mafia. Jack Nicholson plays a crime kingpin.

Reason for hope: After "Gangs of New York" and "The Aviator," three may be the charm for DiCaprio-Scorsese.

J.M.

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS
Oct. 11

"Nip/Tuck" creator Ryan Murphy adapted and directs Augusten Burroughs' tragicomic memoir about his teen years living with an alcoholic father (Alec Baldwin), a closeted lesbian mother (Annette Bening), and the seriously eccentric therapist (Brian Cox) to whom his parents give him up for adoption. Gwyneth Paltrow and Evan Rachel Wood are the disturbed sisters Augusten (Joseph Cross) inherits with his new family.

Reason for hope: It has one of the best trailers in a long time.

J.M.

INFAMOUS
Oct. 13

It's never fun when someone else steals your grand entrance - and has the nerve to show up in the same outfit. That's the predicament facing Douglas McGrath's biographical drama, which revisits the circumstances surrounding Truman Capote's research for his book "In Cold Blood" - the same story told last year in "Capote." Frankly, we'd give Toby Jones an award just for showing up after Philip Seymour Hoffman won an Oscar for this very role.

Reason for hope: Jones' dedicated performance is supported by Sandra Bullock, Isabella Rossellini, Hope Davis and a torch-singing Gwyneth Paltrow.

E.W.

THE GRUDGE 2
Oct. 13

Sorry, "Buffy" fans: Sarah Michelle Gellar basically has a glorified cameo in this sequel to her 2004 horror hit (itself based on a Japanese smash). Fortunately, she's got a solid replacement in Amber Tamblyn, who plays her sister and also a victim of bizarre supernatural doings.

Reason for hope: Between Japan and the U.S., director Takashi Shimizu has done seven "Grudges." That's scary.

E.W.

MAN OF THE YEAR
Oct. 13

Imagine this: a nation that gets its news from talk-show hosts, and elects a joker to the White House. That's the premise behind Barry Levinson's satire, in which Robin Williams' fake newscaster becomes President. Christopher Walken, Laura Linney and Jeff Goldblum back up the comedian-in-chief.

Reason for hope: The first time Levinson and Williams teamed up, they made "Good Morning, Vietnam."

E.W.

FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS
Oct. 20

Clint Eastwood goes from the intimate ("Million Dollar Baby") to the iconic with this early Oscar favorite about the lives of the six servicemen who famously hoisted the American flag at Mount Suribachi during the 1945 Battle of Iwo Jima. Adapted from a book co-authored by the son of one of the flag raisers, the movie profiles the men's lives before and after they were immortalized in American history. With Ryan Phillippe, Jamie Bell, Joseph Cross.

Reason for hope: At 76, Eastwood is in his prime (and old enough to remember the event he's made a film of).

J.M.

FLICKA
Oct. 20

Whenever a gruff farmer grumbles the words, "That horse'll never be ridden," there's a stubborn daughter nearby to prove him wrong. In this case, the farmer is country music star Tim McGraw, and his rebellious offspring is Alison Lohman.

Reason for hope: How often does a movie reach out to both country fans and little city girls?

E.W.

MARIE ANTOINETTE
Oct. 20

With a contemporary soundtrack and an emphasis on sex and scandal, writer-director Sofia Coppola's film is a stylized portrait of a thoroughly modern Marie in 18th century France. Kirsten Dunst is the titular queen, who went from Vienna to Versailles and then lost her head (in more ways than one). Coppola drew lovely work from Dunst in "The Virgin Suicides," and of course won a Best Original Screenplay Oscar for "Lost in Translation."

Reason for hope: A cast that includes Jason Schwartzman and Steve Coogan is icing on "Antoinette's" cake.

E.W.

THE PRESTIGE
Oct. 20

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman play magicians whose stage rivalry heats up to a murderous boil in early 20th century London, where the two have each perfected a trick that the other covets and would go to any and all lengths to steal. Adapted from Christopher Priest's 1997 novel by British director Christopher Nolan ("Memento," "Batman Begins") and his brother Jonathan Nolan. Co-starring Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson and David Bowie.

Reason for hope: Movie magic.

J.M.

BABEL
Oct. 27

The accidental shooting of an American tourist in Tunisia becomes an international incident in one of three overlapping stories in this, the concluding film of Mexican director Alejandro González Iñárritu's trilogy about chance and miscommunication in the 21st century. With Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael García Bernal.

Reason for hope: The first two films in the trilogy - "Amores Perros" and "21 Grams," which, like "Babel," were written by Guillermo Arriaga - are brilliant.

J.M.

CATCH A FIRE
Oct. 27

Derek Luke ("Antwone Fisher," "Coach Carter") plays Patrick Chamusso, a South African activist who risks his life fighting the apartheid regime. Tim Robbins plays the police officer on his trail.

Reason for hope: All signs point to a compelling political drama from director Phillip Noyce ("The Quiet American").

E.W.

SAW III
Oct. 27

You know what's funny? "Saw" serial killer Jigsaw really seems to think he's teaching his victims to appreciate life. (He doesn't strike us as the benevolent type.) This time, though, we'll be ready for that wild final twist. Seriously.

Reason for hope: In Jigsaw's world, there is no hope. Which, if that's your thing, is reason enough.

E.W.

BORAT
Nov. 3

Jagshemash! Fresh off playing a French racer in "Talladega Nights," Sacha Baron Cohen (aka Ali G) brings his alter ego from Kazakhstan to the U.S. of A., where he's bound to offend...absolutely everyone. (Cohen's already fielding fury from the Kazakh government, which has threatened to sue for defamation of character. Which is a punch line unto itself.) The movie's full title, FYI, is "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan." Glorious, indeed.

Reason for hope: Have you seen him in that neon-green body thong?

E.W.

FLUSHED AWAY
Nov. 3

The latest collaboration between DreamWorks and British claymation studio Aardman Animation ("Wallace & Gromit") finds a snooty English mouse (voiced by Hugh Jackman) tumbling down the loo, into London's seamy sewers. His goal is to scrabble his way back up to the penthouse - but first he'll have to deal with squeamish slugs, sly rats and, of course, French frogs.

Reason for hope: In a perfect world, there'd be a new film from the Aardman guys every year.

E.W.

SANTA CLAUSE 3: THE ESCAPE CLAUSE
Nov. 3

By now, Tim Allen has become as family-friendly as the jolly guy he's playing for the third time. This time, though, he's got some competition, in the form of Martin Short's Jack Frost. Thanks to that titular escape clause, Frost makes a play for the red suit, which may just change Christmas as we know it.

Reason for hope: Short looks to be the biggest Yuletide scene-stealer since the Heat Miser and the Snow Miser faced off on TV in 1974.

E.W.

VOLVER
Nov. 3

Audiences overseas are raving about this comedic drama from arthouse auteur Pedro Almodóvar. Penelope Cruz plays a woman who leaves Madrid and travels to her hometown for a funeral. (The title means "to return.") Once there, she has to deal with all sorts of Almodóvarian madness, including a dead husband, suspicious neighbors and her late mother's ghost.

Reason for hope: The director and his longtime leading lady are getting the best reviews of their careers.

E.W.

FUR
Nov. 10

Not since her Best Actress-winning work in "The Hours" has Nicole Kidman had the chance to really wow us. She may well erase all memories of "Bewitched" (or "The Stepford Wives") with her work here as photographer Diane Arbus, who chronicled outcasts and misfits before taking her own life in 1971. Also earning advance buzz is relative newcomer Ty Burrell, who plays the husband she married as a teen. Robert Downey Jr. co-stars, in a fictional role created for the film.

Reason for hope: Director Steven Shainberg ("Secretary") has the skewed sensibility Arbus' story deserves.

E.W.

A GOOD YEAR
Nov. 10

Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe may not be the first team that comes to mind when the genre is "sentimental comedy" -after all, their last collaboration was the chest-beating pomp of "Gladiator." But this is a movie about taking chances, so why not? It's based on Peter Mayle's novel about a British businessman who learns to lighten up when he inherits his uncle's vineyard in Provence. Aussie up-and-comer Abbie Cornish co-stars.

Reason for hope: We'll finally get to see Crowe smile.

E.W.

STRANGER THAN FICTION
Nov. 10

Sounding like a cross between "Adaptation" and "The Truman Show," Marc Forster's comedic fantasy stars Will Ferrell as an IRS auditor whose life is being described to him moment by moment by the author (Emma Thompson) of the story he's in. When he realizes she intends to kill him in the last chapter, he tries to talk her out of it. Dustin Hoffman and Maggie Gyllenhaal co-star.

Reason for hope: Aren't we all starring in our own life stories?

J.M.

CASINO ROYALE
Nov. 17

Daniel Craig's first outing as James Bond is also James Bond's first outing. His initial mission takes him from Madagascar to Montenegro, where terrorists plan to build their bankroll in a high-stakes poker game. Judi Dench is M again, and Eva Green plays Bond Girl Vesper Lynd. It remains to be seen if Craig will be another Timothy Dalton or another Pierce Brosnan. (What, you thought we'd compare him to Connery?)

Reason for hope: If Craig can handle the skepticism that greeted his selection as 007, the spy thing ought to be a snap.

E.W.

FAST FOOD NATION
Nov. 17

It seems a little risky to turn Eric Schlosser's muckraking best seller into a fictional comedy, but if anyone can do it, it's the eternally inventive Richard Linklater. As a disillusioned fast-food executive, Greg Kinnear leads an eclectic ensemble that includes Bruce Willis, Ethan Hawke and Kris Kristofferson.

Reason for hope: Great book, cast and director. And no McDonald's tie-ins.

E.W.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION
Nov. 17

Having tackled small-town theater ("Waiting for Guffman"), pet owners ("Best in Show") and flaky folkies ("A Mighty Wind"), Christopher Guest and his band of merry pranksters now take on indie filmmaking in this tale of a tiny film that's up for an Oscar. With Harry Shearer, Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Ricky Gervais, Michael McKean, Eugene Levy, Bob Balaban.

Reason for hope Take another look at that cast list, and ask yourself: is an Oscar really so outlandish?

E.W.

HAPPY FEET
Nov. 17

The last of the year's many animated features is set in a colony of Emperor penguins in Antarctica - yep, the same penguins from "March of the Penguins." You'll recall from that film that Emperor penguins sing a song to find a mate; here, Mumbles (voiced by Elijah Wood) is born without a singing voice, and is thus forced to depend on his gift for tap dancing to find love. Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman voice Mumbles' parents.

Reason for hope: It's penguins!

J.M.

THE HOAX
Nov. 17

Richard Gere is at his best when he's playing insincere. That makes him the perfect choice for Lasse Hallström's biopic on '70s swindler Clifford Irving, who pulled off one of the greatest cons in recent history when he published a fake biography of Howard Hughes. Alfred Molina co-stars as his partner in crime.

Reason for hope: This is one hoax we're happy to buy into.

E.W.

TENACIOUS D IN THE PICK OF DESTINY
Nov. 17

Once, Kyle Gass was as famous as Jack Black - which is to say, not very. In the years since the duo formed the faux rock group Tenacious D, Black's career has skyrocketed, but fans have long wanted a movie from the (self-proclaimed) world's greatest band. So here it is, along with a tale of a magic guitar pick that brings fame and fortune.

Reason for hope: Meat Loaf plays Black's father.

E.W.

BOBBY
Nov. 17

Writer-director Emilio Estevez re-creates the night that Sen. Robert F. Kennedy was shot in L.A.'s Ambassador Hotel. "Bobby" overlaps the stories of 22 people present when Kennedy gave his victory speech after winning California's democratic primary. With Anthony Hopkins, Sharon Stone, Helen Hunt, William H. Macy, Laurence Fishburne and Lindsay Lohan.

Reason for hope: The lingering charisma of RFK.

E.W.

DECK THE HALLS
Nov. 22

Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick are New Englanders who spar when flashy DeVito lights his home like Vegas, ruining neighbor Broderick's low-key holiday.

Reason for hope: DeVito is a nice stand-in for Nathan Lane.

E.W.

DÉJÀ VU
Nov. 22

Director Tony Scott and Denzel Washington worked together on "Crimson Tide" and "Man on Fire." Here, Washington plays an ATF agent who can't figure out why things look so familiar - until he realizes he has the knowledge to save a woman (Paula Patton) who's already dead.

Reason for hope: Ironically, may be the rare action movie that feels fresh.

E.W.

THE FOUNTAIN
Nov. 22

Hugh Jackman plays a 16th century warrior, a contemporary scientist and a future astronaut, all named Tom and each searching for the fountain of youth and eternal love with a woman played in all three periods by Rachel Weisz. Director Darren Aronofsky wrote it first as a screenplay, then as a graphic novel. It's now one of fall's most interesting films.

Reason for hope: Jackman and Weisz make a perfect couple.

J.M.

THE HISTORY BOYS
Nov. 22

Alan Bennett's Tony-winning play arrives onscreen with intelligence (and cast) intact. Eight students preparing for college get life lessons from vastly different teachers, including a nonconformist professor.

Reason for hope: Just ask anyone who's seen the play.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm intrigued by the posters for "The Queen" and "Little Children". Princess Di seems to be haunting the entire picture of the former, and the latter is just shaping up to be one of the best character studies of the year.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Still anyone here seems to have seen it. Interesting.

Anyway, I started the Bill Condon discussion just because I mistakenly thought a post in the first page of this thread was the last one, and I was replying to that post. But, I mean, only on this board criticizing Bill Condon's work seems to be a major crime. Now not only me - even my car (either because I got a fine or because I almost kicked an Israeli friend out of it) is accused of the most dreadful things. That car is dead now, so don't be too tough on it.

Well, however, this board needs to become more lively sometimes, and you can always count of me for that...

Return to “The 8th Decade”