The Host This Year Is...

1998 through 2007
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

He thought Jon Stewart flopped this year but he hates Jon Stewart.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Here's what that fool Tom O'Neill has to say. UGH. Poor reviews? What poor reviews? I thought Ellen won raves for, as Mister Tee explained, making people laugh in public in ways they hadn't since 9/11. Can O'Neill please just go away?

OSCAR PREDICTION: ELLEN WILL FLOP AS HOST
Based upon the mostly poor media reviews she's received in the past for hosting
the Emmys and Grammys, Ellen DeGeneres will not come out a winner as emcee of
the next Oscarcast, asserts GoldDerby columnist Tom O'Neil.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Since I never commented after posting, let me add that I like Ellen, too. She's not edgy -- maybe not someone I'd go to a comedy club to see -- but she's funny in a likable way that suits a presentation like this. (Lewis Black is way funnier, but I can't see his shtik remotely fitting into this sort of show) Her post 9/11 Emmys was truly excellent -- not just "respectful", but able to make people laugh in ways they hadn't really done in public since the traumatic event. (Her second attempt was less special)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Why not Jon Stewart?

They should have by-passed her for the inevitable Conan choice.

For all we know, they did ask them.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I like Ellen. Glad she got the gig.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hosting the Academy Awards has become the most thankless job in show business, and the most redundant. All they really need is someone to open the show. For the rest, they can use a disembodied voice to announce the presenters like other awards shows do. I couldn't care less who the host is going to be, but I'm glad they announced it so early so that we can go back to the really important questions, like who will be nominated, who will win, who, if anyone, will win a special award, and if you must, who will commit the biggest fashion faux pas and who will say the most outrageous thing.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

As with Sonic, I like Ellen. True, her comedy isn't edgy, but her dry wit and sense of timing is impeccable. While I wouldn't have minded a return of Jon Stewart, Steve Martin or Whoopi Goldberg, Ellen is a fine choice. My sister will be thrilled beyond words--she adores Ellen; she actually turned off last year's Oscarcast because she disliked Chris Rock so much.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I wonder how long before Billy Crystal announces that he was unavailable Oscar night.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Ellen has never really struck me as an inspired comedian, she seems to appeal to the lower (maybe not lowest) common denominator in terms of comedy. I agree with Sabin's description of her as vanilla. Her Emmy hosting post-9/11 was praised because it was handled respectfully, but then, no comedian would dare be bold so soon after that day. They should have by-passed her for the inevitable Conan choice.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I wouldn't doubt that they decide for the 80th they invite back all of the hosts that are still living.

I think Ellen's a great choice. Her multiple Emmy hosting gigs have been hysterical. I'm glad they chose her. It's an underhanded rebuke of the Academy for ignoring Brokeback to a minor extent.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think these past years they're trying out different, younger hosts to see which one would be the best. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll ask Conan O'Brien to host in 2008.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't necessarily dislike Ellen but the woman is beyond vanilla. Her rambling comedy could make for a silent room come March.

Why not Jon Stewart? I was under the impression that his hosting set was the most warmly received since Steve Martin hosted in 2001. The following three years of repeaters (Whoopi, Steve again, and Billy Crystal) were far less inspired and barely commented on, while Chris Rock visibly lost the room (or maybe just didn't have films he could talk about -- 'Aviator' jokes?).
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

cam wrote:Come on! Ellen is a great host and, where did you get the iea she wasn't a warm presence?

Uh, that's what I've read. I get my opinion from industry pundits who've always struck me as very informed.

Why? Who do you read to get your ideas from?

Quit griping and get used to it.

Sure, I'll quit griping when you quit being a condescending ass.

If you can praise, others can gripe, and that's something you need to get used to. This is the UAADB, not Cam's Planet of Nonjudgemental Comfort.

Of course, my praise for her went unacknowledged... I'll never make the mistake of doing it again.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Yes!

I have been longing for Ellen to host the Oscars for years.

Her hosting of the post-9/11 Emmys was wonderful. I love her.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'll gripe: I don't want her to host, because I think she's one of the lamest comedians ever.

Ziskin should've just asked Steve Martin to come back.

Return to “The 8th Decade”