Hopefuls for the Honorary Award

1998 through 2007
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

I called Robert Altman on this board before anyone else did. I would tack on Arthur Penn to this list as well. It looks as though either Bacall or Lansbury would be the safest bets.

Lina Wertmuller might also be a consideration.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Women have won the Honorary Oscar, including Deborah Kerr in 1994.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I want a woman to win honorary award!
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

I say it every freakin' year - Doris Day.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Considering Scorsese may have a shot at another nomination this year for The Departed, I highly doubt he will get an Honorary Award yet.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I suspect Martin Scorsese is next.
That means he´s not going to be awarded one more time. I think that the Academy will wait for that a couple of years
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For some years in the 1970s I had an office in the building in New York which housed the headquarters of the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation. I used to see Jerry Lewis quite a bit. He was one of the most obnoxious people I've ever met inside or outside of show business.

The tend in recent years has been to honor directors, not actors. I suspect Martin Scorsese is next.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Jean-Louis Trintignant. In my humble opinion, he's the finest actor never to receive an Oscar nomination. The fact that he's French--and has appeared in only one American film--probably hurts him. Still, if it's not Doris Day or Richard Widmark....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Olivia de Havilland? Not likely. She had received this year a special recognition. My bet is Doris Day.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Jerry Lewis is still a joke.
He may be a ''joke'' in America but he is taken a lot more seiously and appreciated in many parts of the world. Sad that someone who has brought so much laughter through his films (box office hits to boot) and helped people suffering through his charity work can still be considered a ''joke''.

The Jean Hersholt Humantarian award should have been his long ago!
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Can anyone believe that Jerry Lewis has yet to win a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award? Every year he raises tens of millions of dollars on that telethon of his for muscular dystrophy. This year, he raised a record $61 million. And since 1966, he's raised $1.4 billion.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You don't have Debbie Reynolds on the list, though I'm not sure she's really in competition.

Finney will never receive an Academy Awad because of his general refusal to attend the awards.

Tony Curtis' politics are a deficiency. Jerry Lewis is still a joke.

Gena Rowlands is still going, LIv Ullmann and Jeanne Moreau too foreign (though Ullmann is a lot more conceivable than Moreau).

On that list, Bacall is the most significantly likely.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

We come up with a list every year with the ''usual suspects''. Only they never end up at the podium on Oscar night.

Who are the ''usual suspects'' this year? Slim pickings as these years go by.

Doris Day
Jerry Lewis
Richard Widmark
Angela Lansbury
Olivia de Havilland
Jean Simmons
Eleanor Parker
Leslie Caron
Albert Finney
Gena Rowlands
Lauren Bacall
James Ivory