Oprah Film Club? - Do Flix have to be ART to me nominated?

1998 through 2007
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, I'll place a safe bet that Oprah will have the cast of Dreamgirls on her show; but, even without that, I'm pretty sure that movie is going to be a blockbuster even without her support--an impressive cast in a long-awaited adaptation of a Tony Award-winning musical that already has the strongest buzz of the season--I wouldn't be surprised if it tops Chicago at the box-office.

And Flags of Our Fathers is hardly a "minimal" film--the trailer makes it out to be quite a spectacular production--and with Eastwood behind the camera there's a built-in audience--true, that audience may skew older, but the inclusion of, say, Ryan Phillippe in the cast at least guarantees some youth appeal.

In a world beset by violence and misunderstanding, Babel could connect extremely well with audiences, and top-lining Brad Pitt--with those fantastic reviews--could quite possibly launch the film above $100 million at the b.o.

And word of mouth has propelled Little Miss Sunshine to mainstream succes; the same thing could conceivably happen for Little Children, Venus, or The History Boys.

Honestly, my guess is that this year's Best Picture line-up is going to be a lot stronger at the box office than last year's line-up--the highest grosser last year was Brokeback Mountain ($84 million)--this year I'm guessing we'll see at least 2, maybe 3 of the nominees do considerably better than that.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
fylmknurd
Graduate

Post by fylmknurd »

For my first post, i thought I'd just stir the puddin' a little.

Looking at the Fall Preditions Board, I noticed that most of the subject matter, on the surface, would seem to have minimal "mass appeal." Lord of the Rings aside, do you think that the Academy will continue to lean more toward small, independant, artsy films that only get seen by middle America if Oprah hosts the cast on her show (i.e. Crash?)?

Return to “The 8th Decade”