Venice Winners

1998 through 2007
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Just saw Hollywoodland tonight. Affleck was really the best element of the film, cast-wise, although I don't think anyone did a poor job in their roles. I usually do not look forward to seeing Affleck's movies, not in a long time anyway, but he truly is good in this movie. Wavering between a two and a half or a three starred rating.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I know it won't happen. Both might not even get nominated at all especially Bullock since Keener was already nominated for the same role. Just my wishful thinking. Sigh...
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

VanHelsing wrote:And it would be very nice to see Affleck and Bullock, both star in the moderate hit Forces Of Nature, taking the supporting prizes.
No, IMO, it wouldn't be.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

And it would be very nice to see Affleck and Bullock, both star in the moderate hit Forces Of Nature, taking the supporting prizes.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Mirren and O'Toole were in the infamous Caligula 25 years ago. Both are poised to win long-sought Oscars next February.
From your lips to God's ears! Or rather to the Academy members' ears.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

At this time and after winning the Volpi cup she looks like the strongest candidate.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Other similarities between Hepburn and Mirren - both previously palyed other queens (Hepburn was Mary of Scotland, Mirren her nemesis Elizabeth I albeit 70 years apart); Hepburn's win was for a film opposite an actor (Peter O'Toole) who had played the same role in an earlier film (Becket), Mirren is playing opposite an actor (Michael Sheen) who previously played the same role in a TV movie; both starred opposite O'Toole in historical dramas - Mirren and O'Toole were in the infamous Caligula 25 years ago. Both are poised to win long-sought Oscars next February.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

She would have to sweep the precursors in order for her to do that. There hasn't been a Best Actress winner over 50 in a very, very long time.
Mirren is ready to repeat her Emmy´s victory and Hollywood is considering that choice. We´ll se after the precursors.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Actually there seems to be a curse on actresses in their 50s winning Oscars as we've discussed before. Happily for Mirren, she's lived past the age of the curse. At 61, she's in a good position to become the oldest actress since Jessica Tandy to win the top femme category. She's the same age Katharine Hepburn was when they gave her an Oscar for playing an earlier Queen - Eleanor of Acquataine in The Lion in Winter.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Hustler wrote:Helen Mirren is a sure contender for this year´s Oscar. I would say almost a sure winner.
She would have to sweep the precursors in order for her to do that. There hasn't been a Best Actress winner over 50 in a very, very long time.

And there's Kate Winslet running for her 5th nod for Little Children and she's still young and hot.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Helen Mirren is a sure contender for this year´s Oscar. I would say almost a sure winner.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I would think this boosts Affleck's chances.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Coppa Volpi for Best Actor
Ben Affleck, Hollywoodland

Coppa Volpi for Best Actress
Helen Mirren, The Queen

Best Technical Contribution
Children of Men

Best Screenplay
The Queen
Well, these could all mean something in terms of future awards.

But you're right, Jia's not getting nominated for a Best Picture Oscar anytime soon.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

...as if they matter.

Golden Lion
Still life (director Jia Zhang-Ke)

Special Jury Prize
Daratt (director Mahamat-Saleh Haroun)

Silver Lion for Best Director
Alan Resnais, Coeur

Coppa Volpi for Best Actor
Ben Affleck, Hollywoodland