Random Fall Buzz

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Mister Tee wrote: All, however, seem enthusiastic about Kate Winslet, so she may (along with Helen Mirren, and Streep) emerge as the early strong runner for best actress.
Mirren is going to take Judi dench last year´s place in the lead actress category and she´s a strong contender for the Oscar.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Mister Tee wrote: All, however, seem enthusiastic about Kate Winslet, so she may (along with Helen Mirren, and Streep) emerge as the early strong runner for best actress.
Oh, please, please, let this be Kate's year!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is a thread I begin every year (to which no one but me ever seems to post anything, but what the hell). It's a spot for items not large enough to merit threads of their own, semi-not-quite reviews, or just off-hand remarks that posssibly advance our knowledge of this year's race.

The current installment:

Peter Travers has his Fall preview in the current Rolling Stone. He always speaks about some films as if he's seen them already, though the hint-i-ness of his style makes it hard to tell. My guess from a glance at the piece is that he's seen both Little Children and The Good German, and significantly liked both -- enough that he pinpoints Tobey Maguire's performance in the second. He also singles out Forest Whitaker's Idi Amin performance in The Last King of Scotland.

Other who-knows-whether-to-take-them-seriously reactions to Little Children have begun appearing today (the film's showing at Telluride this weekend apparently officially lifts the embrago). Dave Poland reaches orgasmic heights over it on his MCN site. I wish I didn't so distrust Poland, after his rhapsodies over Solaris, World Trade Center, Miami Vice and Breakfast on Pluto (as well as his relentless refusal to accept Brokeback and Good Night and Good Luck as Oscar contenders). Emanuel Levy was a bit more restrained, but gave the film an A-. On the other end, Kris Tapley (with whose opinions I also have many problems) gives it 2 1/2 stars, and labels much of the acting over the top. All, however, seem enthusiastic about Kate Winslet, so she may (along with Helen Mirren, and Streep) emerge as the early strong runner for best actress.

There'll be alot more word about a number of films in the next few days, as Telluride is also showing Fur and Last King of Scotland, and Venice will tee up The Fountain and Children of Men. So, even before Toronto, we should start to get some idea of the lay of this year's land. Prior to this week, our knowledge of the Oscar race amounted to about 1 out of 10 (based on United 93, Prada, and the Cannes reception of Babel and Volver). By the end of next week, it should be up to a solid 3 or 4, with Toronto raising it anew to 4 or 5. And once Departed and Flags of Our Fathers make their October debuts, we'll be privy to just about all but the Decmber entrants.

Return to “The 8th Decade”