Categories One-by-One: Actress

1998 through 2007
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:What's frustrating to me about Best Actress--especially this year, but, really every year in this modern era--is the seeming inability of Hollywood to create truly classic women's pictures. Where are today's Mildred Pierce, Now Voyager, Random Harvest, Letter from an Unknown Woman, To Each His Own, Imitation of Life, Julia, etc.?
On the Lifetime Channel?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Original BJ wrote:I think at the SAG Awards (or was it the BAFTAS?) whoever presented this category made a comment about the number of great roles for women this year. I know they want to flatter the nominees, but sheesh! Denial is denial.

There were great performances in roles that ranged from great to merely ok-but-lifted-up-by-the-actress; Witherspoon is a distinct example of the latter, and so is Judi Dench (ok, so, yeah, she could play this role in her sleep, but, apparently, even a sleepwalking Judi Dench knows her way around a snappy quip).

What's frustrating to me about Best Actress--especially this year, but, really every year in this modern era--is the seeming inability of Hollywood to create truly classic women's pictures. Where are today's Mildred Pierce, Now Voyager, Random Harvest, Letter from an Unknown Woman, To Each His Own, Imitation of Life, Julia, etc.?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

jack wrote:A shock Keira Knightley win would be good. To me, this may end up being a very boring Oscar show.
No way. Keira may be young and hot, but she's a weak nominee and they never win. By the way, is anyone even bothering to campaign against Reese? If they are, what a waste of PR.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think at the SAG Awards (or was it the BAFTAS?) whoever presented this category made a comment about the number of great roles for women this year. I know they want to flatter the nominees, but sheesh! Denial is denial.

For me, wins for Witherspoon or Huffman would be fine. The former was delightful, although her character was pretty underwritten. The latter was gimmicky, but gave a moving and interesting characterization nonetheless. Neither are great, but both are good, and I'll side with Witherspoon and the inevitable tides.

Theron was moving, but in an incredibly been-there/done-that role. Dench was charming in a performance she's given ten times before. Knightley was fine, but her surprisingly competent work should not have put her anywhere near Oscar.

Vera Farmiga, Q'orianka Kilcher, and especially Maria Bello, (who I honestly believe would have made the lineup had her campaign quickly switched to Lead after the Globe nod), are all superior to these five.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

For me Judi Dench is so far superior to the other nominees it should be no contest. Of course, that is irrelevant and Reese will win. I have no problem with Reese having an Oscar -- she's a delightful, even lovable, and very talented actress and a true star. I just wish she wasn't winning for a not-very-good performance: June Carter was anything but the cartoonish goofball Reese portrays in Walk The Line.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

A shock Keira Knightley win would be good. To me, this may end up being a very boring Oscar show.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Keira Knightley, Pride and Prejudice
Charlize Theron, North Country
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

This is Witherspoon's to lose but a Huffman upset is not outside the realm of possibility.

Return to “The 8th Decade”