Hopefuls II

1998 through 2007
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Very interesting. Who wrote it? One can quote anything without an auther to suit the purpose, of course.
I imagine there are many people who do not like the Queen Mum. Wallis Simpson was loathed by the British. I have read many books on her, and I believe that the Queen acted properly when Eliz. ostracized her along with the COE and the government. That EVII was sent to Bahamas, was appropriate.
Now things are different. We had Diana, we had Fergie and now we have the Rotweiler. Any bets on whether Charles will be king? Not a safe bet, BTW.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:I am not obsessed with the monarchy, either, but it annoys me to see a person who is dead savagely attacked, particularly the Queen Mother. What did she do to you?
Precious, I was not referring to you when I mentioned the tirade against British actresses, but your ignoble slam against Queen Elizabeth. This sort of remark is beneath you, and I am glad that you, yourself, thought it was in bad tatse.

The Queen Mother was hardly an arbiter of good taste herself, cam. I think you might be interested in some of the tidbits below:

The Queen Mother's overriding impression was of the sheer iciness of her attitude when it worked to her convenience. Perceiving Mrs Simpson - brash, American, supposedly "classless" - as a threat to her values, she refused to acknowledge her marriage to the former Edward VIII in France in 1937, and when they were sent to the Bahamas (with the now Duke of Windsor as Governor-General) in 1940, she sent a telegram there insisting that nobody should curtsey to the Duchess. She met the Duchess of Windsor just once thereafter, in 1967, and her influence is still significant enough for her personal letters on the subject not to have been published with the other abdication papers this year. You begin to wonder just how and why she reached her "nation's favourite granny" image.

I should imagine that it is common knowledge by now that she greatly admired Margaret Thatcher, and retains a colonial attitude to Britain's black population, but, however often it is repeated there's something uniquely harsh about her treatment of Marion Crawford - "Crawfie" - governess to the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, who was ostracised largely because of one observation about the low priority the then Queen gave to their education, and to whose funeral in 1988 neither the Queen Mother nor either of her daughters even sent flowers. And it gives a certain cheap laugh to reflect that she, allegedly, described Clarence House (when it was first suggested in 1952 that she should move there) as "a horrid little house", a phrase which sounds like an Enid Blyton child describing a Manchester back street.

What a profoundly paradoxical character the Queen Mother is. An aristocrat from another age, who gave her daughters an even-then outmoded and limited home education, but who promoted herself as the first "modern" royal in the 1930s, being famously photographed by Cecil Beaton (though demanding that the pictures were touched up), being referred to as the "Queen of Hearts" by an American newspaper, and pioneering the royal walkabout. A woman who cynically publicized pictures of herself in the bombed wreckage of Buckingham Palace as a means of boosting her popularity when newsreels of the exiled Duke and Duchess of Windsor were getting stronger responses in the cinemas than those of herself and the King, and yet has successfully ingratiated herself in the national psyche as a beloved, eternally compassionate figure who is somehow "above" all such practices. Most interestingly, her time warped vision of how the monarchy should be retains its massive influence on "The Firm", and has been appropriated by Prince Charles, with the result that it will almost certainly outlive her. With the royal family's popularity at an all-time low, especially among younger people, there's a distinct possibility that her well-meaning concern to preserve it in aspic forever might have hastened and accelerated its demise. What an irony that would be - but it's hard to resist the conclusion that the Queen Mother's influence on Britain in recent years has been negative, especially during the D-Day and VE Day commemorations in the mid-'90s, and the endless referencing back to the World War II. Something in her nostalgic and sentimental appeal is certainly very similar to the mentality which held Britain back during the John Major governments of 1990-97. So perhaps an early demise for the monarchy, in a strange kind of way, would be the Queen Mother's most appropriate legacy.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I am not obsessed with the monarchy, either, but it annoys me to see a person who is dead savagely attacked, particularly the Queen Mother. What did she do to you?
Precious, I was not referring to you when I mentioned the tirade against British actresses, but your ignoble slam against Queen Elizabeth. This sort of remark is beneath you, and I am glad that you, yourself, thought it was in bad tatse.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

It's ridiculous Frears got more Oscar notice for that than for High Fidelity or Dirty Pretty Things, both vastly superior efforts
There is nothing that it is possible to compare in quality to Frears´s first movies: Sammy and Rosie Get Laid (1987) Prick Up Your Ears (1987) and My Beautiful Laundrette (1985).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I don't see how I am abusing the careers of great English actresses (O.K. I admit I can't stand Judi Dench). My comments didn't relate to any of them. But if that's how you see it fine.

As for the Queen Mother, I had read an article about her years ago. Long before the internet and before she was dead. Actually I must have a look myself of to see if I can find anything of note.

And I do 'know' the Monachary, though not literally ofcourse, as I live in a Commonwealth country and Liz is our Head of State and I am of Britsich heritage for better or worse.

A friend of mine is obsessed with the all things royal, particularly the British royal family so I'm kept very up to date on the goings on, though I personally don't find much of it interesting.

Humor and wit, along with appreciation of film, literature, music etc is also a matter of taste.

Ah well. This is it from me. I make one comment (admittedly in poor taste) and I’m shot down. It’s bye from me now, I’ve got better things to do like watch films or go swimming that viewing any more film related boards.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

You abuse the careers of great English actresses, and, appallingly, the Queen Mother. During the war,she and her very shy and stuttering husband, George VI , were the symbols of British strength and family. Please tell me where I can find some kind of proof of your statement about her, Precious Doll. I didn't expect that kind of behaviour from you.

By the way, just as non-Americans despise many Americans for their brashness, rudeness, and their muscle-showing, we abhor people who do not know the Monarchy, or never had British family, and would understand it, or even know what they are talking about. (God! Do you understand YOUR leader?)
Some of you, and there are major exceptions, are just too inexperienced to know how to deal with what you consider humour and wit, yet.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not even in Region 2. I guess we'll have to wait until Rupert Friend becomes a big enough star for the demand for his films to force a release. Apparently the widow Olivier isn't a big enough star even in England to warrant its release.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
flipp525 wrote:In the tradition of Joan Plowright in Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, will Syms be the token old English broad you're pushing for a nod this year, Magilla?!

No, the Plowright vehicle did not get much exposure. If it had she might have supplanted the ridiculously over-rated Judi Dench performance in Mrs. Hendrson Presents, last year's "official" token old English broad performance.

The Queen, on the other hand, is a Stephen Frears vehicle that will open the New York Film Festival. It will get plenty of exposure.
By the way is Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont available on dvd?

Also just discovered that there was an earlier version that was made for British tv in 1973 for which Dame Celia Johnson won a BAFTA award.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

rudeboy wrote:
Reza wrote:
rudeboy wrote:Hobble about a bit, not say very much, occasional glass of gin... yep, that's her 101 years service to the British Empire summed up.

You are obviously badly informed on your Queen Mum history lesson! Say this out loud in front of any Brit and you are bound to get lynched!

Her presence (along with the late King Geirge VI) during the war years in London was a tremendous morale boost to the public in England.

I AM a Brit. And believe me, she's not the national treasure that you might think. Admittedly, the older generation hold the monarchy in greater respect - but she failed entirely to capture the affections of most of us born after the war.

Whether or not I agree with their behaviour, her barely concealed loathing of anyone in her circle who showed the slightest spirit - from Wallis Simpson to Lady Di and Sarah Ferguson - set her up for widespread ridicule in her later years. Like Prince Philip, I honestly don't think the Queen Mum was a particularly nice person.
I guess ''Live and Learn'' is the order of the day on the subject of the Queen Mum!

I love Precious Doll's description of her as a ''Racist Nazi''. Visions of swastikas on the Queen Mum's bra!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
rudeboy wrote:Hobble about a bit, not say very much, occasional glass of gin... yep, that's her 101 years service to the British Empire summed up.

You are obviously badly informed on your Queen Mum history lesson! Say this out loud in front of any Brit and you are bound to get lynched!

Her presence (along with the late King Geirge VI) during the war years in London was a tremendous morale boost to the public in England.
The Queen mother was a racist Nazi and living proof that only the good die young.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:(honestly, I thought Dench played the character completely incorrectly).

I agree. I really think that her (apparently reserved annual) spot should've gone to Laura Linney (The Squid and the Whale) or Joan Allen (The Upside of Anger) for two of those actresses' best performances. The Squid and the Whale was really just robbed all together in the acting department. I would've preferred Owen Kline to have taken Giamatti's make-up spot in support as well.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:The Queen, on the other hand, is a Stephen Frears vehicle that will open the New York Film Festival. It will get plenty of exposure.
This information is the first thing that makes me truly interested in the film; it's such an unlikely candidate for Alice Tully Hall, I have to feel someone's seen it and likes it.

By the way, I agree about Mrs. Henderson being violently overrated (honestly, I thought Dench played the character completely incorrectly). It's ridiculous Frears got more Oscar notice for that than for High Fidelity or Dirty Pretty Things, both vastly superior efforts.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:In the tradition of Joan Plowright in Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, will Syms be the token old English broad you're pushing for a nod this year, Magilla?!
No, the Plowright vehicle did not get much exposure. If it had she might have supplanted the ridiculously over-rated Judi Dench performance in Mrs. Hendrson Presents, last year's "official" token old English broad performance.

The Queen, on the other hand, is a Stephen Frears vehicle that will open the New York Film Festival. It will get plenty of exposure.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Reza wrote:

I AM a Brit. And believe me, she's not the national treasure that you might think. Admittedly, the older generation hold the monarchy in greater respect - but she failed entirely to capture the affections of most of us born after the war.

Whether or not I agree with their behaviour, her barely concealed loathing of anyone in her circle who showed the slightest spirit - from Wallis Simpson to Lady Di and Sarah Ferguson - set her up for widespread ridicule in her later years. Like Prince Philip, I honestly don't think the Queen Mum was a particularly nice person.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Return to “The 8th Decade”