Hopefuls II

1998 through 2007
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Honestly, cam? Let it go. The discussion died (at your request) and then you somehow felt compelled to resurrect it.

Americans do have a royal family: Hollywood royalty. It's our monarchy and it's as f-ed up as yours'.

On topic: I agree with Penelope on pushing Streep in lead, and Emily Blunt in supporting. She was fantastic and deserves as much kudos as Meryl. I think Jennifer Hudson might take BSA in the end, though. I've already heard phenomenal things about her performance in Dreamgirls. Besides, it's time for an unknown female to sweep in and take a supporting trophy.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I find it really amusing that some here say harsh things about the British Royal Family. The are mere frail humans, like the rest of us. Very few of us have a family tree so rich in lively stories and gruesome deaths. (Actually, my wife can trace hers back to Malcolm, son of Macbeth) I wonder --do people hate them because they have human frailties?

The Americans have their First Lady(Queen), their First Family, courtiers, and a president who would love to be called King George or Emperor. When the Royals visit the US the crowds are thronged to see them. Americans LOVE the British( the feeling is not mutual), and we continually honour Britishers( or those of "The Colonies") at the Oscars: Judi Dench,Russell Crowe, Colin Farrell, Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Ian McKellen, Laurence Olivier--the list goes on and on. Look at your Oscar lists.

The Americans do so want a Royal Family, don't they? I know, there will be a huge response from the Royal-haters, and a more refined approach from the others.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Big Magilla wrote:Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)

Please, God, let us all agree to push--if she must be--Streep for Lead so that Emily Blunt can be nominated for Supporting, as she deserves to be.

I love reading about royalty in history, and watching movies about them, but that anyone could support royalty in the 21st century is unbelievable to me. Leeches, all of them.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:At the risk of starting another controversy, I would like to propose Brenda Vaccaro for consideration for The Boyton Beach Bereavement Club aka Baby Boomers in Retirement.

Sally Kellerman was on my local news station promoting this film, which opens August 4th, under its latter, apparent new title which sounds more box office friendly than the title it has been making the film festival rounds with.

Having seen the trailer and read about the picture in the New York Times, I'm dreading Boyton Beach Bereavement Club because it looks so smarmy and snickering -- Old People Having Sex Isn't That Cute? It sounds reminiscent of that grotesque old television series The Golden Girls.

I doubt that this movie will have any more impact than The Cemetery Club did (which was a quite lovely film) -- inless a DVD Screener attack does the trick.
Of course, this is only left field specualtion. Chances are the film will be gone quicker than you can say Joan Plowright in Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, but you never can tell.

I've seen the trailer, too. It does look like it starts out like The Cemetary Club with Dyan Cannon filling in for Ellen Burstyn, but quickly turns into Cocoon with the Joe Bologna character filling in for Don Ameche and the Brenda Vaccaro character filling in for Gwen Verdon. If it goes out under the title of Boyton Beach Bereavement Club it will probably be as dead in the water as Cemetary Club. However, if it goes out under the catchier title of Baby Boomers in Retirement, as the Kellerman promo seems to suggest, it could have the impact of Cocoon, which was a huge hit when released at the time Golden Girls was at the height of its popularlity.

I don't think Samuel Goldwyn Films has the kind of money to mount a successful DVD screener campaign unless it spends all its money targeting SAG and AMPAS members over 70 and even then it would be an uphill battle unless the film strikes some kind of chord while in theatres. Crash it ain't.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:I guess ''Live and Learn'' is the order of the day on the subject of the Queen Mum!

I love Precious Doll's description of her as a ''Racist Nazi''. Visions of swastikas on the Queen Mum's bra!

I generally loathe members of the royalty of any country -- the biggest welfare recipents alive -- and would love to see them forced to do the worst jobs that their "subjects" have to do, such as Prince Charles being forced to work in a mill in Manchester, Prince Harry down in a coal mine in Wales, and the Queen sweeping up horse droppings after a parade honoring the Crimean War.

(I make an exception for the Monaco monarchy, for they are descended from true Royalty -- Grace Kelly -- and Andrea Casiraghi may well be second only to Ethan Hawke in terms of splendiferousness).

As for the Queen Mum, the last time I was in London, she was still alive and as we drove by her palace, the Cockney cab driver said, "Ahhh, she's a grand old gal." On the other hand, my friend Susan who is obsessed with the Windsors and has just about every book ever written about the British royals thinks she was the biggest bitch of all time. I don't know enough about her to have an opinion, other than that I instinctively am drawn to an old lady who loved her gin and tonics.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:At the risk of starting another controversy, I would like to propose Brenda Vaccaro for consideration for The Boyton Beach Bereavement Club aka Baby Boomers in Retirement.

Sally Kellerman was on my local news station promoting this film, which opens August 4th, under its latter, apparent new title which sounds more box office friendly than the title it has been making the film festival rounds with.
Having seen the trailer and read about the picture in the New York Times, I'm dreading Boyton Beach Bereavement Club because it looks so smarmy and snickering -- Old People Having Sex Isn't That Cute? It sounds reminiscent of that grotesque old television series The Golden Girls.

I doubt that this movie will have any more impact than The Cemetery Club did (which was a quite lovely film) -- inless a DVD Screener attack does the trick.

By the way, in my opinion the brilliant performance in Jacqueline Sussann's Once Is Not Enough is not Vacarro but the great David Janssen as Norman Mailer. God, I loved that man. But then again, who could ever forget the scene in which Alexis Smith and Melina Mercouri have sex -- sublime camp.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler wrote:I would propose Jane Alexander for Fur in the supporting category.
Agreed. At this point, I'd say likely nominees are Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls), Judi Dench (Notes on a Scandal) and Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada), with room for two more, in which case Jane Alexander (Fur) and Jill Clayburgh (Running With Scissors) would certainly be welcome choices. However, the nominees in this category often come out of left field, so in case any of these five falter, we should have someone waiting in the wings.

I don't imagine supporters of either Sylvia Syms (The Queen) or Brenda Vaccaro (Baby Boomers in Retirement) are expecting them to be nominated, which is a why a nod for either or both of them would be a nice surprise.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Thank you for the nasty account. And I do know that author is spelled this way. It was a typo, common with people who only use two fingers to type.

People see things differently. Regard how we look at critics. Some of us here lash out against certain reviewers, like Ebert.

I personally don't care if you are a Monarchist or not. Some are ,some are not.Obviously this reviewer is not, nor were the producers of the show. And from what I have read, there are not a lot of Brits who long for the day that Charles and Camilla --particularly Camilla-- rule England. William would bring a more respect for the monarchy. Personally, I think the Queen will abdicate for William to take the throne, and I don't think Charles really wants it. Camilla does, though. Maybe you will find some writer who does. I don't care.

Let's put this nastiness to rest.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I would propose Jane Alexander for Fur in the supporting category.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Dyan Cannon is the apparent lead. A small film like this is more likely to score a supporting nomination if any.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Dyan Cannon seems to be a better choice
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I love this idea, Magilla. I hadn't heard of that film yet but Brenda Vacarro was wonderful as Linda Riggs in the otherwise completely-abysmal joke-fest Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough (which I watched with the shoji drawn in shame in my little apartment in Tokyo when I was living there 3 years ago...) It was a performance for which she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 1975.

I would love another Oscar nod for her this late in her career. Great choice.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

At the risk of starting another controversy, I would like to propose Brenda Vaccaro for consideration for The Boyton Beach Bereavement Club aka Baby Boomers in Retirement.

Sally Kellerman was on my local news station promoting this film, which opens August 4th, under its latter, apparent new title which sounds more box office friendly than the title it has been making the film festival rounds with. Directed by Susan Seidelman (Desperately Seeking Susan) as a sort of combination Cocoon/Shirley MacLaine section of In Her Shoes, it top-lines over-the-hill players Dyan Cannon, Len Carious and Joseph Bologna. Vaccaro appears to have the best shot at an Oscar nomination playing "the old lady" Bologna is about to have sex with.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

cam wrote:Any bets on whether Charles will be king? Not a safe bet, BTW.

I hope so. Unlike his parents and grandmother, he has made a strong and genuine effort to move with the times and has made a connection with the people of the country - his behaviour in the aftermath of Diana's death was particularly admirable. He also comes across as a very warm and loving father to the princes and his handling of some of their errors - such as the notorious occasion when Harry went to a fancy dress party in a Nazi uniform - has always been impressively tactful.

He has occasional lapses of taste, and some notable eccentricities - inevitable for a man brought up in his circles - but I think he will make a good king. It's only unfortunate that with the apparent lifespans of the women in his family, he will likely take over the throne, if at all, in extreme old age and reign for a few years.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:Very interesting. Who wrote it? One can quote anything without an auther to suit the purpose, of course.

One can and one did. It's "autho r", btw.

The Real Queen Mother

Return to “The 8th Decade”