No Gil Cates! - Hooray!  Hooray!   Hooray!

1998 through 2007
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Hosts I'd like to see return: Steve Martin, Jon Stewart

Hosts I'd grind my teeth through: Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Crystal

Hosts I never want to see again: Chris Rock, David Letterman

Host I think might be hilarious: Stephen Colbert
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

No. He's done the same ol' #### for too long.
With all my due respect, no one performed the musicals as he did.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Laura Ziskin has been set by Acad president Sid Ganis to produce the 79th Academy Awards.
I hope to see the glorious celebrities giving some awards, i.e: Celeste Holm. Eva Marie Saint, Glenn Ford.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No. He's done the same ol' #### for too long. I think it's time for him to retire as host.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Does someone agree with Billy Cristal´s return?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Ellen hosted the Emmys a few years back and did a decent job, so i wouldn't mind her hosting the Oscars, but I agree with anonymous that Steve Martin should be brought back for a third go-round.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I strongly preferred the following year's show with Steve Martin. That show, IMO, was the best of the decade so far. Full of pleasant surprises and unforgettable moments.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I just hope she doesn't bring Whoopi back.
What´s the problem with Whoopi?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I do! Whoopi's great. But this debate keeps happening...anyway, since she's fond of female hosts being a female producer in a male-dominated industry, perhaps she'll bring on Ellen DeGeneres.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I agree, she at least offered some changes/surprises; Cates seems trapped in the same old same old.

I just hope she doesn't bring Whoopi back.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Okay, he previous show WAS too long, but it had some innovations and some nice moments, and -- most importantly -- she's not Gil Cates.

From Variety:

OSCAR GIG FOR ZISKIN
Producer returns for next year's kudocast

By ARMY ARCHERD

Laura Ziskin has been set by Acad president Sid Ganis to produce the 79th Academy Awards.

Ziskin produced the 74th Oscars. That ceremony, at a record length of 4 hours and 23 minutes, saw wins for "A Beautiful Mind," Halle Berry and Denzel Washington and appearances by Woody Allen and Cirque du Soleil. Oscarcast, hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, was the first from the Kodak Theater.

Ziskin is in production on "Spider-Man 3," which Sony will release next summer, several months after the Oscarcast. In 2002, she did similar double duty, producing the show when the first "Spider-Man" bowed.

Kudocast airs Feb. 25. The timetable for voting starts Dec. 26, when nomination ballots are mailed; the noms are announced at 5:30 ayem Jan. 23.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “The 8th Decade”