120 Invited to Academy Membership

1998 through 2007
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I yield to no one in my dislike of Dakota Fanning in general, but even I would say her filmography is at least as defensible as Michelle Williams'. What does the latter have besides Brokeback and I-haven't-seen-it-but-understand-it's-respected Dick?

On the other hand, voters should at least be old enough to see all viable candidates (i.e. NC-17s).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

[quote="Hustler"][/quote]
The Academy should probably keeps it's new member invitiations to themselves. The are only opering themselves up for further ridicule.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

To some yes, but so others it screams Razzie and Ric Robertson does state "the body of work".

Academy Members are adopting attitudes very similar to the hollywood foreign press association. All this Dakota issue seems like a great suck up, don´t you think?.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:Many consider Dakota Fanning's work in War of the Worlds Oscar-calibre, so don't include that film in your list of duds.
And some of us consider it the most annoying performance of the 21st century so far.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

To some yes, but so others it screams Razzie and Ric Robertson does state "the body of work".
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Many consider Dakota Fanning's work in War of the Worlds Oscar-calibre, so don't include that film in your list of duds.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

''For the last couple years, there has been an effort to make sure the members coming in are of the highest possible quality,'' says the Academy's executive administrator, Ric Robertson. ''They're really looking at the top people. Not to suggest that anyone not coming in isn't top, but what they're looking at are the credits, the body of work, and the quality of the work.''

Then I don't know how they can justify Fanning. Man on Fire, War of the Worlds, Cat in the Hat.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Here's an article on why Michelle Williams wasn't invited from Entertainment Weekly:
Lost in the Mail?

The Academy doesn't invite Michelle Williams to join -- Oscar memberships were given to her fellow ''Brokeback Mountain'' stars by Dave Karger

As if it weren't hurtful enough that she lost her onscreen husband to a man, Brokeback Mountain's Michelle Williams has suffered another indignity. When the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the 120 people invited to become members last week, on the list were Williams' costars Heath Ledger (also her real-life partner) and Jake Gyllenhaal. But Williams herself was nowhere to be found, despite earning a Best Supporting Actress nod for her performance. Even worse, her category's two other first-time nominees, Amy Adams and Rachel Weisz, both made the cut. (The Academy also tapped the never-nominated Dakota Fanning, for Pete's sake.) So what's behind the snub? Is it some sort of punishment for Williams' Dawson's Creek days? ''For the last couple years, there has been an effort to make sure the members coming in are of the highest possible quality,'' says the Academy's executive administrator, Ric Robertson. ''They're really looking at the top people. Not to suggest that anyone not coming in isn't top, but what they're looking at are the credits, the body of work, and the quality of the work.'' Robertson adds that Williams, whose reps wouldn't comment for this article, could still become an Academy member down the road. But for now, she'll have to help Ledger fill out his ballot.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Tim Robbins, Alec Baldwin, Alan Alda and George Clooney, I guarantee are in the Academy already. Haggis is in the Writers Branch, I'm sure (I do not believe you can be a member of multiple branches). The rest, no one knows. This list isn't the list of everyone who's JOINED this year. It's the list of those who were INVITED. No one really ever knows if they have actually accepted membership, so it's hard to tell who's a member and who isn't sometimes.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

What about Charlize Theron, Naomi Watts, Tim Robbins (in the acting branch) Alec Baldwin, Bill Murray and Johnny Depp in 2004; Don Cheadle, Alan Alda, Natalie Portman, Virginia Madsen, Taylor Hackford and Alexander Payne in 2005, Phillip Seymour Hoffman,George Clooney, Matt Dillon, Reese Witherspoon and Paul Haggis (in the Director´s Branch) this year? Had they been invited before? Does someone know?
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Greg wrote:I thought that all nominees are automatically invited for membership.
I heard that this does not apply anymore.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Evidently not since she isn;t among those listed.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

VanHelsing wrote:And I don't think Michelle Williams should have been added to the short list before Eric Bana.
I thought that all nominees are automatically invited for membership.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

so tell me anonymous, is there any chance to know how many actors, writers and directors are active members excluding the last three years?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Hustler wrote:As far as I know, AMPAS had begun to publish and spread its press releases related to invited members since 2004. Am I in the certain thing?
You're right. Part of the reason this was done was to curb the chances of turning down a membership. It apparently worked for Sean Penn. He has been offered membership several times in the past but kept turning them down.

Return to “The 8th Decade”