The Hopefuls

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

imdb wasn't the only site I checked. DarkHorizons was also on my check list and it wasn't there.

I don't know why you're having problems, Penelope. Try emptying your cache and trying again...What browser are you using?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know why imdb doesn't have it, but acording to ComingSoon.net, the U.S. release date for The History Boys is November 24, 2006.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Wes, have you done something to your site? I've tried 5 times in the past 24 hours and everytime my screen freezes up and I have to end the session to get out of the situation.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Precious Doll wrote:Just couple of things to consider:

I doubt Blanchett will receive a supporting nod for Babel as her character spends most of the time unconscious;

Little Miss Sunshine is another of those overrated Sundance favorites. It may score an undeserved Best Screenplay nomination (it won't win) and Alan Arkin may receive a best Supporting Actor nomination or even win for his role as the grandfather of the piece but you can cross Collette, Breslin, Carell & Kinnear off your list - they will not make the cut (though I admit I quite liked Carell in the film);

And finally you should consider The History Boys. If the film is as good as the play, and I see no reason why it won't be, Richard Griffiths (for Actor), Frances De La Tour (Supporting Actress) and the Alan Bennetts adapted screenplay from his own play are sure bets.

If the film proves popular with audiences a picture, director and maybe a supporting actor nomination or two may also occur.
I maintain a wait-and-see attitude about Little Miss Sunshine. The preview had me laughing and I have friends who don't normally like Sundance type fair but they are interested in seeing it. If it's hugely successful, you could be changing your tune.

I haven't seen History Boys on any release calendar for this year. It's possible that it won't make it out to theaters this year. It might be an entry next year. If it does make it onto the confirmed release schedule, I'd be sure to include it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Why not?
IMHO winning a third trophy so quick seems to be unlikely.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Hustler wrote:Maybe a nomination for Clint but surely not a win.
Why not?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

My last one.
Wes. what about Burstyn for a lead in the Fountain?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I think that of working directors, Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg are the two most likely to reach Wyler's and Capra's three Directing wins.
Maybe a nomination for Clint but surely not a win.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I avoided mentioning Bening because Running with Scissors seemed like a dud. I did think about her, though.
Have you considered Clayburgh for supporting?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Just couple of things to consider:

I doubt Blanchett will receive a supporting nod for Babel as her character spends most of the time unconscious;

Little Miss Sunshine is another of those overrated Sundance favorites. It may score an undeserved Best Screenplay nomination (it won't win) and Alan Arkin may receive a best Supporting Actor nomination or even win for his role as the grandfather of the piece but you can cross Collette, Breslin, Carell & Kinnear off your list - they will not make the cut (though I admit I quite liked Carell in the film);

And finally you should consider The History Boys. If the film is as good as the play, and I see no reason why it won't be, Richard Griffiths (for Actor), Frances De La Tour (Supporting Actress) and the Alan Bennetts adapted screenplay from his own play are sure bets.

If the film proves popular with audiences a picture, director and maybe a supporting actor nomination or two may also occur.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I avoided mentioning Bening because Running with Scissors seemed like a dud. I did think about her, though.
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

You forgot to include Annette Bening for Running with Scissors for either Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress.

Cars is also a strong contender for Best Original Song ("Our Town").
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Good list to start. Do you really think Clint would win a second Best Director Oscar in three years, and third overall? When was the last time a director won two in such a short amount of time (especially his second and third), out of curiosity?
John Ford won his second and third back to back.

I think that of working directors, Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg are the two most likely to reach Wyler's and Capra's three Directing wins.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Good list to start. Do you really think Clint would win a second Best Director Oscar in three years, and third overall? When was the last time a director won two in such a short amount of time (especially his second and third), out of curiosity?

Last year's race left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I am still apathetic about a new year, but we'll see if I can forgive and forget.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I posted my first list of Hopefuls. It's not grand but it'll do. Start at my main site where I discuss the race in brief and then proceed to the hopefuls to have a gander.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”