MTV Movie Awards

1998 through 2007
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Penelope wrote:Heath wasn't there, but Jake was and even made mention of the importance of MTV in selecting himself and Heath for best kiss; I'm forgetting who presented that category (was it Kate Beckinsale and Adam Sandler?), but the female went out of her way to say how hot the Heath/Jake kiss was.
It was Eva Mendez and Justin Timberlake who both seemed pleased with the win and Timberlake even smacked Gyllenhaal on the ass.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

rudeboy wrote:Say what you like, they're fun - and their winners make more sense than the oscars quite frequently.

Some examples:
- 1994 Best Picture: Pulp Fiction
- 1992 Best Male Performance: Denzel Washington, Malcolm X
- 1998 Best Male Performance: Jim Carrey, The Truman Show
- 2001 Best Picture: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- 2004 Best Male Performance: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator
- 1995 Best Movie: Se7en
- 2003 Best Male & Female Performance: Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean & Uma Thurman, Kill Bill vol 1
- 1996 Best Male Performance: Tom Cruise, Jerry Maguire

What I liked most about this show was an award they don't seem to care anymore and that was absolutely right almost everytime: Best New Filmmaker. The winner's list shows a lot of quality:
1991: John Singleton, Boyz n' the Hood
1992: Carl Franklin, One False Move
1993: Steven Zaillian, Searching for Bobby Fisher
1994: Steve James, Hoop Dreams
1995: Wes Anderson, Bottle Rocket
1996: Doug Liman, Swingers
1997: Peter Cattaneo, The Full Monty
1998: Guy Ritchie, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1999: Spike Jonze, Being John Malkovich
2000: Sofia Coppola, The Virgin Suicides
2001: Christopher Nolan, Memento

And that was it... just a shame they didn't keep that up...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I thought it was a little odd that best male performance went to Gyllenhaal when the more trumpeted Ledger was ignored.

How are the nominees chosen for these? Is it an open ballot with voters picking whoever they like or is there an initial longlist to choose from?

Say what you like, they're fun - and their winners make more sense than the oscars quite frequently.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Heath wasn't there, but Jake was and even made mention of the importance of MTV in selecting himself and Heath for best kiss; I'm forgetting who presented that category (was it Kate Beckinsale and Adam Sandler?), but the female went out of her way to say how hot the Heath/Jake kiss was.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Good picks indeed... Sorry for Tilda and Ralph Fiennes and for the Potter's kids but everything is quite cool. I haven't seen the show (there'll be a re-run thius saturday on MTV Latinamerica) but I wanna know if Heath and Jake assisted the ceremony and if there was a funny moment or something. How was the Spike Lee award? Did he appear on the show?

But the fact that MTV have some courage is no new thing. We have to remember their audience. They have picked in the past some menage-au-trois for best kiss, they nominated Gina and Jennifer for Bound (great kiss) and awarded The Fellowship of the Ring when Academy didn't. Of course they have made a lot of silly choices but then again they're great with some others... they are just "cooler" :;):
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”