Cannes Reviews -- Requests?

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Ebert reported that Wong Kar-Wai mentioned after the ceremony that Loach's film was a unanimous choice for the Palme D'Or.

Loach is highly respected in Cannes. He never won a Golden Palm and his classic style of filming is always well received. The curious point here is that Won Kar Wai who represents the innovative way in film industry has picked that movie out for the big prize.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Most after-the-fact explanations of the Loach win, like Sonic's, offer the not-unreasonable premise that Loach, around for 30 years and a reliable Cannes presence, might have seemed far more due than anyone else. There's also the apparent fact that the jury -- especially the actors -- found his film emotionally powerful.

But when I look at Flandres' win, and the acting prize for Days of Glory, I wonder -- was it the subject of war that most won the jury over? Does the Iraq debacle so define our era, here and especially abroad, that honoring fims touching on the subject is too much for a jury to resist?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

dws1982 wrote:Ebert reported that Wong Kar-Wai mentioned after the ceremony that Loach's film was a unanimous choice for the Palme D'Or.
It probably was. Unanimous in the sense that probably no one disliked it, as opposed to everyone madly loving it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Unfortunately "Volver" - while a perfectly respectable movie, and of course a very interesting one - isn't one of Almodovar's best...
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think L. A. Confidential might have won the screenplay award had James Shamus not been in contention for his superb The Ice Storm work.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
tootpadu
Graduate

Post by tootpadu »

dws1982 wrote:Ebert reported that Wong Kar-Wai mentioned after the ceremony that Loach's film was a unanimous choice for the Palme D'Or.
He actually said that during the ceremony, before he announced the winner's name.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Ebert reported that Wong Kar-Wai mentioned after the ceremony that Loach's film was a unanimous choice for the Palme D'Or.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

One could argue Loach was far more "due" than Almodovar was.

Not that it will get the film to play anywhere outside the usual stomping grounds in the U.S.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

dws1982 wrote:Actor - Jamel Debbouze, Samy Naceri, Sami Bouajila, Roschdy Zem and Bernard Blancan from Days of Glory
Isn't this known as Indigènes? Or have they changed the title?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Yep, as usual, an unexpected choice for the Palme. I guess I can see Ken Loach's low-key quality appealing to a jury headed by Wong Kar-Wai.

As everyone must know by now, the ceremony wasn't televised, so there's no way of telling how popular these choices were with the crowd, or how the recipients felt. I have to figure Pedro wasn't thrilled at getting screenplay, since, like his director win in '99, it pretty much confirmed he was being denied the Palme.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Palme D'Or: The Wind That Shakes The Barley, Ken Loach
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Getting these off of another board:

Grand Prize - Flandres, Bruno Dumont

Actress - Penélope Cruz, Carmen Maura, Lola Dueñas, Chus Lampreave, Yohana Cobo and Blanca Portillo from Volver

Actor - Jamel Debbouze, Samy Naceri, Sami Bouajila, Roschdy Zem and Bernard Blancan from Days of Glory

Director - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Babel

Screenplay - Pedro Almodovar, Volver

Jury Prize - Red Road, Andrea Arnold
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Just for laughs: Bruce Willis getting hit by a rogue wave at Cannes. I love the "Oh la la!" from the French reporter at the end!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I checked the IFC website for all their programming through the following Sunday (June 4th) and couldn't find it. A search on Cannes on their website brings up videos of arrivals so I guess they're not going to carry it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:Is IFC not showing the final ceremony this year? I went ahead to Sunday on my cable schedule, and couldn't find anything.
It's hard to believe they'd drop it after all these years.

Is it possible it's on Monday, instead? I think there have been years when it was.

Return to “The 8th Decade”